• Page:

TOPIC:

Could This be it?? Was: Stuck in Gear.. 09 May 2006 18:24 #46229

• davidnard
  • davidnard's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone,

this is a follow up post to my previous thread of "Stuck in gear...help this newbie!!" thanks to all for your patience and helpfulness in helping my diagnose my problem! I owe you all a beer.

BUt on the the problem at hand...lol

I think I *may* have found the problem...

I pulled off the clutch cover and the clutch and the driveshaft chain and found this bent piece of metal...I believe pieces of metal that are spring loaded are called the shift forks?? Maybe not...

those shift forks were in FRONT of that bent circular piece, but i put them behind it for picture purposes.

If that is indeed my problem, here I am, begging the kzriders Gods to help me figure out what that part is, and where I can get it. I'll also need to locate a new gasket for The crankcase I pulled off, and for the cover on the rear side (where the neutral? line runs in)...had to pull that off so I had leverage to get off the one bolt.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Could This be it?? Was: Stuck in Gear.. 09 May 2006 18:56 #46238

• davidnard
  • User
Me again, sorry :blush:

This is the other gasket I need, but I am stupid and do not know the name of this cover... any help on those above two parts plus this one would be gravy.

Attachments:

Could This be it?? Was: Stuck in Gear.. 09 May 2006 19:38 #46245

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
That is the shift drum plate.
It screws directly into the end of the shift drum, and there should be six pins behind it that insert into the shift drum itself.
You already know that the larger gasket is the clutch cover gasket, the other gasket is for the generator cover.

Since it isn't listed in your profile and you didn't mention it, and not knowing for sure what year and model bike you have, no one is going to be able to give you exact part numbers for that plate or the gaskets.

I'd recommend listing that type of info in your profile, that way you'll get quicker responses/answers and less questions as to what KZ you have. ;)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/05/09 22:38
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Could This be it?? Was: Stuck in Gear.. 09 May 2006 20:43 #46262

• davidnard
  • User
Yeah, my model info would probably be helpful :blush: someday I'll learn, haha. Generator Cover, awesome thanks! I'll see if I can't track down model numbers myself, hopefully those gaskets won't burn too large a hole in my pocket.

Could This be it?? Was: Stuck in Gear.. 09 May 2006 20:53 #46266

• Willo46
  • User
Z1 Enterprises shows a gasket set for $27. It's usually pretty tough and/or pricey to get the individual gaskets from a dealer. Z1 Enterprises is highly recommended to do business with, they'll get you your parts quick.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1861

The shifter bit may be a salvage yard job unless someone has one. Do you have any motorcycle salvage yards anywhere about? Hey I just did a search on Ebay and this showed up: check out item 4639229231. Looks like it has a good setup.

Could This be it?? Was: Stuck in Gear.. 09 May 2006 20:57 #46269

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
How on earth does something like that happen? Missed shift?
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Could This be it?? Was: Stuck in Gear.. 09 May 2006 21:03 #46274

• davidnard
  • User
Rock, thank you!

Could This be it?? Was: Stuck in Gear.. 09 May 2006 21:08 #46276

• davidnard
  • User
To be perfectly honest its probably my fault. First time out on the bike (or any bike), stalled it in like 4th gear, I may have just forced down on it too hard. Or maybe it was already damaged and my fat lug foot exacerbated the problem...Im just glad its a cheap fix :)

and thanks for the links Willo!

Could This be it?? Was: Stuck in Gear.. 10 May 2006 05:12 #46328

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
davidnard wrote:

To be perfectly honest its probably my fault. First time out on the bike (or any bike), stalled it in like 4th gear, I may have just forced down on it too hard. Or maybe it was already damaged and my fat lug foot exacerbated the problem...Im just glad its a cheap fix :)

and thanks for the links Willo!

That is unbelievable. I cannot comprehend how it could just "happen", no matter how hard you shifted.

Since you got answers on the gaskets, I'll add this about the part: Many of us on the forum have "cross-reference software" (me included, just not here at work), and we can get you a list of the different models that the part was used on. You can take that list, and either try to buy the part new or NOS (read: big $) from sites like bikebandit.com and others, or start scouring eBay.

Good luck. Stay confident, you *can* fix it...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Could This be it?? Was: Stuck in Gear.. 10 May 2006 07:01 #46345

• davidnard
  • User
Biquetoast wrote:
[quote Since you got answers on the gaskets, I'll add this about the part: Many of us on the forum have "cross-reference software" (me included, just not here at work), and we can get you a list of the different models that the part was used on. You can take that list, and either try to buy the part new or NOS (read: big $) from sites like bikebandit.com and others, or start scouring eBay.

Good luck. Stay confident, you *can* fix it...[/quote]

Hey thanks for that site link. I already grabbed a complete gasket set off z1 enterprises, and I may grab that tranny assembly off eBay. Love that bikebandit though, I can hop on and find exactly what the part name is. I'm also planning on replacing all the bolts and hardware I've pulled, so that was an easy reference for the sizes needed.

Could This be it?? Was: Stuck in Gear.. 10 May 2006 07:44 #46358

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
davidnard wrote:

....Love that bikebandit though, I can hop on and find exactly what the part name is...

I'm very fond of BikeBandit.com myself, but they are very pricey. I use them as a last resort when nobody else can get something, they prolly can...

It also occurs to me, judging by the language of your post, that you've not seen the parts diagrams on buykawasaki.com. I've been posting the pictures from there (previously not having known your model), but I didn't give you the link. So, here it is:

PARTS DIAGRAM

..and of course, the wonderful Ivar and kz400.com is a wealth or resources...

Enjoy!

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2006/05/10 10:45
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Could This be it?? Was: Stuck in Gear.. 10 May 2006 08:38 #46368

• davidnard
  • User
Awesome! Thanks Biquetoast!

• Page: