Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

oxidation removal 07 May 2006 20:37 #45807

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
The following shot is of a polished set lower legs of an '88 Honda Shadow. I've watched people ask the owner where he had them chromed.

I did them in the course of an afternoon about 3 years ago, and there wasn't a tank of metal salts in sight.

The topic here is cleaning, and this is getting a bit long-winded, but with a little time and effort it's possible to have otherwise casual onlookers go utterly ape wondering how you did something that's really pretty simple...

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/05/08 00:08
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

oxidation removal 07 May 2006 20:52 #45811

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Attachments:

oxidation removal 07 May 2006 20:59 #45813

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
One question that's bound to come up is how to get rid of that chipped, pitted, yellowed and generally dog$shit-looking factory clear on lower legs and various covers that's usually the first barrier to bringing the shine out of a part.

Best way I've seen to deep-six it is to use a wire wheel to break the clear in a few places, put the piece in one of those plastic shopping bags that's nearly indestructable unless you're carrying something it it, dump in a dollup of laquer thinner, tie it up air tight and let it sit outside overnight.

It'll keep the bugs away, and in the morning, the clear should be soft enough to knock off with a soft wire wheel or a junk buffing pad.

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/05/08 00:43

oxidation removal 08 May 2006 01:38 #45834

• bikeinpeices
  • bikeinpeices's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
wow shiny and yes forks looked chromed.. i think i will go with the bead blast, my freind has a friend who has a sand blast set up i just need to find if it will take a glass bead media, i figure most do?!? but until then i'll keep wet sanding and scothing great pic though

• Page: