can we use auto oil in our bikes?

More
01 May 2006 21:24 #44345 by kx_125_pilot
Replied by kx_125_pilot on topic can we use auto oil in our bikes?
ah ok, thanx for clearing that up lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2006 22:34 #44357 by rattler
Replied by rattler on topic can we use auto oil in our bikes?
i have been putting pennzoil 20-50 in my kz for ten years without any problems. every once in a blue moon i will mix a quart of lucas oil with the pennzoil.

More
02 May 2006 06:09 #44408 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic can we use auto oil in our bikes?
kx_125_pilot - Oils that use friction modifiers to maintain fleet energy conservation standards use a sunburst emblem that says "ENERGY CONSERVING". These are the oils that shouldn't be used in a motorcycle. Rotella T 15W40 doesn't use friction modifiers nor do most 10W40 or 20W50 oils. The oils that generally are ENERGY CONSERVING and should be avoided are multi-weights like 5W30 or 10W30.

Rotella T is a "heavy duty" oil that conforms to diesel standards and not automotive SE series standards. What this means is that it breaks down more slowly than automotive oils and allows for extended intervals between oil changes. It is used in diesel fleets as well as many taxi and cop car fleets. It makes an excellent oil for motorcycles. Other oils work as well with Castrol GTX often named as a fine bike oil. If you use the correct weight oil and change it at regular intervals, most any oil works well although some tend to sludge more rapidly than others. That is really what any oil discussion should center on as sludge in the bottom of a KZ engine is the main effect of some oils rather than others. Rotella T doesn't appear to sludge very much and that is why I use it my six (current) bikes.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
03 May 2006 11:23 #44819 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic can we use auto oil in our bikes?
Since we are on a subject of oil. I heard that the thicker the oil the more it will insulate the engine. In other words it wont cool efficiently. What are you guys thoughts on that?
BTW I run Amszoil 20w50.