The Right Cams...

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
11 Feb 2011 14:31 #430020 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic The Right Cams...
les holt wrote:

They can and will spit a shim, it's just a matter of when. I'm thinking this went at a gear change at redline in 4th gear. People watching said at gear change it went stupid all over the track. Guy spent a long time in the hospital. I'm not saying it didn't spit during the wreck, rev limiter was set at 10,000, but something caused the bike to go nuts and I'm thinking it may have been oil from the hole.
Not trying to sway anyone away from what the manufacture says but I'm not going to chance it.

What cams?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2011 14:36 #430022 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic The Right Cams...
les holt wrote:

They can and will spit a shim, it's just a matter of when. I'm thinking this went at a gear change at redline in 4th gear. People watching said at gear change it went stupid all over the track. Guy spent a long time in the hospital. I'm not saying it didn't spit during the wreck, rev limiter was set at 10,000, but something caused the bike to go nuts and I'm thinking it may have been oil from the hole.
Not trying to sway anyone away from what the manufacture says but I'm not going to chance it.

anybody who wants to run a motor with rev limiter set at 10g needs to spend the money on whatever it takes to hold it together.
any design has its limitations,if you push it beyond those limits you have no bitch as far as im concerned. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
11 Feb 2011 14:37 - 11 Feb 2011 14:39 #430023 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic The Right Cams...
I have .420 lift cams with shim on top. as long as your springs are strong enough to prevent the valves from floating. This is on a GPz1100 head. i also limmit mine at 10G

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 11 Feb 2011 14:39 by otakar.

More
11 Feb 2011 14:40 #430024 by PLUMMEN
see previous post in case something breaks! :laugh:

More
11 Feb 2011 14:47 #430028 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic The Right Cams...
Ported head, stainless valves, ape springs. Pretty good build but I can't say why it happened. Thats the way it was when I bought it. The guy that had it won't ride again. Can't say I blame him, been a couple yrs and he still limps. This isn't the first time I've seen it happen and I believe that for whatever reason I wouldn't take that chance again. It has never happened to me personally so I consider myself lucky, I do push these things hard.
Not trying to ruffle feathers, just pointing out it can happen and if a person can afford it, go shim under bucket. Just added insurance.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
11 Feb 2011 14:53 - 11 Feb 2011 14:53 #430030 by larrycavan
les holt wrote:

Ported head, stainless valves, ape springs. Pretty good build but I can't say why it happened. Thats the way it was when I bought it. The guy that had it won't ride again. Can't say I blame him, been a couple yrs and he still limps. This isn't the first time I've seen it happen and I believe that for whatever reason I wouldn't take that chance again. It has never happened to me personally so I consider myself lucky, I do push these things hard.
Not trying to ruffle feathers, just pointing out it can happen and if a person can afford it, go shim under bucket. Just added insurance.

Andrews used to call for SOB for 8x and SOT for 3x grinds. The truth of the matter is you're more likely to spit a shim with a 3x than an 8x.

That out of the way, is there a grind number on that exhaust cam?
Last edit: 11 Feb 2011 14:53 by larrycavan.

More
More
11 Feb 2011 15:26 #430035 by PLUMMEN
cgi.ebay.com/KAWASAKI-KZ650-KZ650B-VALVE...&hash=item1e6020e088
youll can probably find em cheaper than that even,just get the right retainers to go with. B)

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
11 Feb 2011 16:27 - 11 Feb 2011 16:28 #430051 by larrycavan
I just looked over a big block motor with performance cams and 650 buckets. The buckets are going south and the cam lobes are already there ;)

The owner is cheap and won't replace either. Bye - Bye... have a nice day :laugh:
Last edit: 11 Feb 2011 16:28 by larrycavan.

More
11 Feb 2011 16:44 - 11 Feb 2011 16:54 #430061 by PLUMMEN
everybody wants to go fast,but nobody wants to pay for it! :laugh:
im talking a budget weekend warrior! :laugh:

Last edit: 11 Feb 2011 16:54 by PLUMMEN.

More
11 Feb 2011 17:59 #430078 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic The Right Cams...
I take it that the 650 buckets just aren't up to the task, because thats just what I was going to do If I put this thing back together

More
11 Feb 2011 19:49 #430107 by PLUMMEN
the motor larrys refering to has 2x4s for cam lobes if its the engine im thinking of which is a lot differant than a set of cams in the .410 range.
if youre just turning high rpms occasionally without a huge amount of lift with cams requiring bigblock chevelle coil springs to keep valves from bouncing id say youll be fine.
im guessing the 650 buckets are made from same material as 900-1000 style B)