Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can I Make this gasket 24 Apr 2006 11:20 #42191

• cary
  • cary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I pulled off my alternator covers on both KZ's to deal with starter issues, and went ahead and polished the covers. Now, I can't seem to find a cheap replacement gasket to put them back on with. Can I make a gasket with silicone that will work for this? Anybody here ever tried? Any tips?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can I Make this gasket 24 Apr 2006 11:40 #42197

• wireman
  • Visitor
you can make most of the gaskets with silicone,i like the clear 100% silicone for the outside covers when i cant find a gasket.its high-temp and doesnt make a mess like the red or blue permatex.just make sure you dont put it on there too thick so it doesnt end up inside of motor.or you could just buy some gasket paper and make one.

Can I Make this gasket 24 Apr 2006 12:26 #42217

• cary
  • cary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
never done this before, about how thick of a bead should I apply?

Can I Make this gasket 24 Apr 2006 13:17 #42238

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
you should go with the roll of gasket material. i clogged an oil passage with silicone when i was young and stupid.im older now but the jurys still out on the stupid. waaay less risk if you cut your own gaskets from a roll. :blink:
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Can I Make this gasket 26 Apr 2006 15:52 #42927

• Garn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Cary, I never go for the silicon gaskets, however, they do work and they are a quick solution, unless you have Btchalice's bad luck. The alternator cover is a relatively easy one to make from the usual gasket material.

Let me tell you how I thought I was going to save a lot of $$$, by making a complete set (with the exception of the cam cover- which is much too hard). I had a set of new gaskets from a mate. I purchased some gasket paper and cut about three sets. This was some years ago.

The other day I found this great pack of gaskets and proceded to replace a sump gasket. When I offered it up to match the sump, I found it has shrunk about 1 cm overall. What a waste! I found some paper and made another (on-size). On the last hole punch for the clearance 6mm holes around the sump, it tore away. Not a happy day!

RegardZ.
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

Can I Make this gasket 26 Apr 2006 16:24 #42938

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
I agree completely get the gasket material. I use a schapel, you can use rasor but make sure it is sharp. I think silicone is for falsie....er nevermind. <grin>

Can I Make this gasket 26 Apr 2006 18:08 #42973

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I've even made valvecover gaskets from gasket stock (it was hard to find a roll big enough, though). Took about an hour when all was said and done, but i was really taking my time.

I've never had a problem with leaks. But I hate scraping gaskets so use an old trick... I put a very, very thin coat of anti-sieze on the gasket and the gasket comes off like new. It's great on float bowls!! You'll be able to re-use the gasket indefinitley after that. Obviously, you don't want to do this on gaskets that take pressure, but I've done clutch cover gaskets and even they didn't leak. I do, however, put sealant around the cam-end plugs on the ends of the valve cover. Make sure to dig out all of the old sealant from the bolt holes. That's where people screw up and end up stripping the threads... the bolt bottoms out on the sealant which is not really compressible.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/04/26 21:09

Can I Make this gasket 26 Apr 2006 18:09 #42974

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
i dont like silicone there either ambergrissmoon
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Can I Make this gasket 26 Apr 2006 20:21 #43027

• wireman
  • Visitor
ambergrismooon wrote:

I agree completely get the gasket material. I use a schapel, you can use rasor but make sure it is sharp. I think silicone is for falsie....er nevermind. <grin>

ouch!:woohoo:its like anything else you have to use a little self control and common sense,have you ever replaced intake gaskets on a v8 engine?replacing the end gaskets with a bead o silicone is common practice,but you dont use the whole tube and you let it start to set up before assembling parts.do not use silicone to make gasket for cover on outer shifter linkage (trap door under output sprocket cover)the linkage will jam:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/04/27 00:02

Can I Make this gasket 26 Apr 2006 20:57 #43040

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
You can get the gasket off of ebay for about $12. I would go with a gasket.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Can I Make this gasket 26 Apr 2006 22:17 #43064

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Yep...go with a new gasket.You COULD,however(this what I do),use only a SKIN of silicone(WITH a new gasket) on the cover and the engine(gasket in between the layers of silicone),to ensure an even better seal.Apply a thin layer of silicone to the 2 faces,and let them set up,so You don't squish any wet silicone into the inside of the cover(like btchalice knows about...bummer).
You'll want to set the cover in place,once the silicone has set up a bit(dry to the touch)and just snug the bolts up,finger tight...give it about an hour and tighten the bolts.
I did this to the same cover on My bike when I installed new gaskets on the engine,and I had to take it off the following year for a starter problem I had,and there was no silicone at all,that had squished off to the inside.
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Can I Make this gasket 27 Apr 2006 00:16 #43079

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
I second the gasket off eBay. There is a seller or two on there that sell very high quality aftermarket gaskets at reasonable prices.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

• Page: