MTC pistons?

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
12 Dec 2010 19:00 - 12 Dec 2010 19:32 #416639 by kz1k
MTC pistons? was created by kz1k
i am trying to decide if i should just buck up and bore my 903 up to a 1015. i was reading it really adds a lot of low end torque and throttle response even with stock cams. whats the story with these MTC pistons? many people running them? and whats the difference in the copper of fiber head gaskets?

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Dec 2010 19:32 by kz1k.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2010 20:53 #416661 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic MTC pistons?
MTC makes a good piston. Cylinder pressure may be a little high if you use them with stock cams. Use the fiber head gasket.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
12 Dec 2010 21:25 #416671 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic MTC pistons?
note to self....fiber head gasket....thanks jay!

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

More
12 Dec 2010 21:50 #416674 by davel
Replied by davel on topic MTC pistons?
APE Jay wrote:

MTC makes a good piston. Cylinder pressure may be a little high if you use them with stock cams. Use the fiber head gasket.

Jay, Wouldn't the copper head gasket provide better heat dissipation and allow you to run higher cylinder pressure on pump gas?

More
13 Dec 2010 06:24 #416707 by steell
Replied by steell on topic MTC pistons?
davel wrote:

APE Jay wrote:

Jay, Wouldn't the copper head gasket provide better heat dissipation and allow you to run higher cylinder pressure on pump gas?

How do you get the copper head gasket to seal without o-ringing the head or block?

KD9JUR

More
13 Dec 2010 10:27 #416736 by davel
Replied by davel on topic MTC pistons?
steell wrote:

How do you get the copper head gasket to seal without o-ringing the head or block?

These guys www.headgasket.com/ make a SS oring that's 0.004 thick and meant to work with a copper head gasket to seal it to the block. No machining necessary.

Copper head gasket faqs here:
www.headgasket.com/faq.html

instruction for installing SS oring here:
www.headgasket.com/images/ring%20installation.pdf

Not sure if it works but I might try it this winter on my 1075.

More
13 Dec 2010 14:27 #416783 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic MTC pistons?
davel wrote:

APE Jay wrote:

Copper will seal very high cylinder pressure, much higher than you would run on the street. However, they are oil leakers, so they are used as a last resort with high compression drag motors.

More
13 Dec 2010 17:54 #416817 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic MTC pistons?
kz1k wrote:

i am trying to decide if i should just buck up and bore my 903 up to a 1015. i was reading it really adds a lot of low end torque and throttle response even with stock cams. whats the story with these MTC pistons? many people running them? and whats the difference in the copper of fiber head gaskets?

i m sure im the last guy you want to hear from...that being said:

they are good pistons.
get a one pc cometic or wiseco fiber gasket and seal the o-ring groove...dont go bannanas.....just a tad above flush....

• gearheadmm
  • User
  • MUCH MORE BOOST..........I mean BRAVO
More
24 Dec 2010 18:36 #418499 by gearheadmm
Replied by gearheadmm on topic MTC pistons?
Last time I checked MTC wasn't making KZ pistons in the smaller sizes, check before making plans. Wiescos hold up fine. I've run a 250hp turbo on a set of 1075 9to1 without problems. Ditch the clips and run buttons, .020" endplay. Copper head gaskets leak oil, you ain't gonna stop it even with external oil lines. At best they last about 2 seasons on the street.

General Joeseph Dunford FOR PRESIDENT!!!
69.46.28.106/forum/11-projects/413221-80-kz-1000-st-recycled

More
26 Dec 2010 03:49 #418629 by toad
Replied by toad on topic MTC pistons?
I bored mine to 1015 and yes it did make a difference but only to realize I wanted more... 1075.

78 kz 1000
wiesco 1015
29mm smoothbores
gs1100 swingarm
gsxr rear

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
26 Dec 2010 05:43 #418637 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic MTC pistons?
It would be easier and cheaper if you go 1075 to just buy one of pit stops top end kits. they are like $795 or so and come with the cylinder. I think you have to sleeve a 903 block to put in a 1075 so unless you have a good parts hook up it will probably save you a couple bucks.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
26 Dec 2010 07:26 - 26 Dec 2010 07:26 #418642 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic MTC pistons?
gearheadmm wrote:

Last time I checked MTC wasn't making KZ pistons in the smaller sizes, check before making plans. Wiescos hold up fine. I've run a 250hp turbo on a set of 1075 9to1 without problems. Ditch the clips and run buttons, .020" endplay. Copper head gaskets leak oil, you ain't gonna stop it even with external oil lines. At best they last about 2 seasons on the street.

I noticed APE has the Wiseco *AND* MTC 1015cc kit listed on their page still. They might have some on the shelf... The MTC page does not list the 1015cc anymore.

www.kzzone.com/pistons.html
Last edit: 26 Dec 2010 07:26 by DoubleDub.