smoke out exhaust on decel

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
15 Sep 2010 06:55 #398839 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic smoke out exhaust on decel
It's probably valve seals but if the bike has miles on it, you're best bet is to pull the complete top end off and freshen it up....

Paying for gaskets twice and having to do the job twice will really grind you down....

Larry C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2010 10:36 #398882 by freebyrd24
Replied by freebyrd24 on topic smoke out exhaust on decel
This may be dumb, but I'll throw it out there anyway. The oil level looks slightly over filled. Now that I think of it, I slightly over filled it at the beginning of the season. It's not extremely overfilled, but it is overfilled. I'll investigate whether or not there is gas mixed in when I drain it next spring or maybe this fall. Could overfilling cause this issue? I just drove it back to work and no smoking at all like usual on shorter cooler runs.

- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

More
15 Sep 2010 10:46 - 15 Sep 2010 10:47 #398884 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic smoke out exhaust on decel
freebyrd24 wrote:

This may be dumb, but I'll throw it out there anyway. The oil level looks slightly over filled. Now that I think of it, I slightly over filled it at the beginning of the season. It's not extremely overfilled, but it is overfilled. I'll investigate whether or not there is gas mixed in when I drain it next spring or maybe this fall. Could overfilling cause this issue? I just drove it back to work and no smoking at all like usual on shorter cooler runs.

investigate whether or not there is gas mixed in when I drain it next spring or maybe this fall

This may be dumb

Yep. B)

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 Sep 2010 10:47 by Patton.

More
15 Sep 2010 11:12 #398890 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic smoke out exhaust on decel
freebyrd24 wrote:

The idea is Not dumb at all. If you have the stock air box on it and the crank case vents into it, yes it will allow oil into the breather box if the crank is overfilled.

If it's smoking whitish blue on throttling down like you said, that could very well be your problem. As the filter becomes contaminated with oil it will naturally increase the suction and would result in excess fuel being drawn in, along with some oil.

You'll be getting blue smoke from the excess fuel, and white smoke is of course oil burning. Just pull the top off and air filter out of your breather box, and check for excess oil residue on the filter and inside walls of the box.

If there is a fair amount of oil either puddled at the bottom of your air box, or on the filter and walls, just drain some oil out, or change your oil and replace it with the proper amount, unless you want to blow seals and such. chuckle.

Not correcting it soon could prove to be dumb. :silly:

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.