CARB CLEANING TROUBLE

More
12 Aug 2010 15:07 #390403 by at20
CARB CLEANING TROUBLE was created by at20
i have a major problem i just a 1976 kz400 and i was trying to clean my carbs today. i took the top and bottom cover off and sparyed everything out with cleaner so it all shines but when i reinstalled the carbs i have a gas leak. going by the pics in my repair book it says i have gas shooting out the air jet in the back of the carb. i dont have a clue on what to do. Could it be that i have them TOO CLEAN and i needed that lil dirt that was there .

please help me im new and i been at this all day

i have a pic of where the gas is coming from below

1976 kz400
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2010 15:40 #390406 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic CARB CLEANING TROUBLE
It's not too clean.

Am thinking float valve and/or float function failure, for whatever reason, whereby fuel is rising too high inside the float bowl.

Hoping an aftermarket in-line fuel filter was fitted before allowing any fuel to enter the freshly cleaned carbs.

Excess fuel is supposed to escape from the overflow nipple on bottom of float bowl, usually through a tube routed to exit underneath the bike.

Perhaps the overflow circuit is clogged.

Would sniff-test crankcase oil, and check its physical condition, to determine whether fuel has entered the crankcase and contaminated/diluted the oil. If so, should change oil and filter, and correct the problem before allowing any more fuel into the carbs.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Aug 2010 15:46 #390408 by at20
Replied by at20 on topic CARB CLEANING TROUBLE
well my bike already had 2 in-line fuel filters on the lines before the gas gets to the carbs . i do have hoses coming from the flaot bowls and i thought gas would come out a lil but on the side that leaks nothing comes out the hose its just a lil stream that shoots out the hole ing the back. my book calls it an Air Jet. would it come from there it the overflow nipple is clogged

1976 kz400

More
12 Aug 2010 16:30 - 12 Aug 2010 16:36 #390419 by Patton
at20 wrote:

well my bike already had 2 in-line fuel filters on the lines before the gas gets to the carbs . i do have hoses coming from the flaot bowls and i thought gas would come out a lil but on the side that leaks nothing comes out the hose its just a lil stream that shoots out the hole ing the back. my book calls it an Air Jet. would it come from there it the overflow nipple is clogged

would it come from there it the overflow nipple is clogged --- I think so, but would suggest awaiting more certain advice from another having hands-on experience with these particular carbs.

Here's a diagram that's probably similar to the carbs at hand. But it doesn't show a float bowl drain screw or an overflow nipple.

[May click on image to enlarge view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Aug 2010 16:36 by Patton.

More
12 Aug 2010 16:40 #390422 by Patton
kawasaki.com shows two different carb systems for two different models of 1976 KZ400.

One model has dual fuel inlet lines.

The other model has a single fuel inlet line.

There are likely internal differences between the carb styles.

If not already done, might want to take a look at the carb diagrams in kawasaki.com.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Aug 2010 16:46 #390424 by Patton
Anyone seeking help with navigating kawasaki.con may
Click here > Navigate kawasaki.com

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Aug 2010 16:50 #390425 by Patton
And here's a good article about renovating CV carbs.

Click here > www.thegsresources.com/gs_carb_05.htm

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Aug 2010 16:57 #390428 by at20
i have the one that has 2 fuel lines .

1976 kz400

More
12 Aug 2010 17:13 #390435 by at20
so are saying its best if i wait and get other opinions ? i mean that might be it but im not sure cuz i didnt have a problem before. i just dont understand what would make it do that .

1976 kz400

More
12 Aug 2010 17:34 #390443 by at20
so cant i just try to blow out the over flow nipple with air after i take the bottom bowl off. i checked the hose and its clear so ill have to check that next

1976 kz400

More
12 Aug 2010 17:35 - 12 Aug 2010 17:36 #390444 by Patton
at20 wrote:

so are saying its best if i wait and get other opinions ? i mean that might be it but im not sure cuz i didnt have a problem before. i just dont understand what would make it do that .

Am pretty sure fuel rising up into the carb would escape through the air jet, and likely other places as well, such as into the crank case.

:unsure: What was the earlier diagnosed carb problem that prompted disassembly?

:unsure: On which carb is fuel coming out the air jet? Or is fuel coming out the air jets on both carbs?

Usually it's a float valve and/or float function issue that causes excess fuel being allowed past the float valve into the float bowl.

Some of the many reasons could include such things as failure to keep the same float needle with its same needle seat, or installing floats upside down (as possible in some carb designs), or float damage such as leaking or bent, or float sticking/hanging, or mal-adjusted float tang, etc.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Aug 2010 17:36 by Patton.

More
12 Aug 2010 17:40 #390447 by Patton
at20 wrote:

so cant i just try to blow out the over flow nipple with air after i take the bottom bowl off. i checked the hose and its clear so ill have to check that next

Might help clear a blocked overflow circuit.

Even where an overflow circuit is correctly functioning, it doesn't cure the problem of excess fuel being allowed into the float bowl.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD