exhaust popping while down shifting..

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jul 2010 20:45 #381847 by Kitten Tooth
exhaust popping while down shifting.. was created by Kitten Tooth
I am very happy to say that my 1981 KZ1000 runs excellent and has an ungodly amount of power :woohoo: My previous thread was about my clutch not engaging. This issue fixed itself. Thanks for informing me about how the clutch isn't necessary when upshifting.. my driving is way smoother now. Today, me and my dad did some brake work. We bled the brakes both calipers on the front have nice clean fluid in them and the back works great as well. This being a bigger and way heavier bike than my last, i down shift quite alot more than i used to have to. Today i went on my first real ride with this bike to go and get some gas. My last bike didn't have an air filter the first 3 months i owned it and it ran fine. I figured i would stay off of dusty or dirt roads to avoid sucking in junk as best as i could. When i shift into a lower gear and the Rpms suddenly rise and then start to slowly drop as i roll along, my exhaust makes popping noises like my GS300 did when i replaced the mufflers with straight pipes and they were wide open. Could this be due to not having an air filter installed? I want to make sure that im not over heating my engine. I don't want to burn a hole in any of the pistons after all the work i did trying to get it to run.. After the ride i took it on, it still ran fine and everything is still okay with it. Should i wait till i get an air filter before i go on another ride?

Thanks guys,
KT

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2010 20:48 #381850 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic exhaust popping while down shifting..
yes get an air filter,if nothing else to keep the bad stuff out! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
11 Jul 2010 20:52 - 11 Jul 2010 20:53 #381855 by dblhdr
Replied by dblhdr on topic exhaust popping while down shifting..
The purpose of the air box on this bike is to prevent exactly this problem. install an air box and filter, connect the two vacuum lines to it from the carbs like the stock bike is,and it will stop doing it.

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1
Last edit: 11 Jul 2010 20:53 by dblhdr.

More
11 Jul 2010 20:52 #381856 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic exhaust popping while down shifting..
Popping during deceleration indicates a lean condition but might be well enough left alone.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
11 Jul 2010 20:52 #381858 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic exhaust popping while down shifting..
Have you done a sparkplug check?(sometimes called a plug chop). Bring along the tools to pull the sparkplugs, and find a nice long road where you can get some speed(say 65), pull in the clutch while turning the run/stop switch to off.

Coast to the side of the road and let the engine cool for a while, then remove the sparkplugs, noting what color the center insulator is.

White is too lean,Black too rich, and light tan, about right.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
11 Jul 2010 21:03 #381866 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic exhaust popping while down shifting..
In addition to what everyone else said, if your bike has the clean air injection system on the valve cover, and it's not functioning properly, it can cause large backfires through the exhaust.

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jul 2010 23:33 #381895 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic exhaust popping while down shifting..
im got just the place to do that plug chop thing. My dad's bike is gonna need that too.. For the clean air injection system, are you talking about the reed valves? its that hose on the two caps on the valve cover right? I know that there is supposed to be a switch there of some sort or a T connector that combines the two hoses the connect them to the airbox.. mine just has a hose that runs from one cap to the other.. I still have to adjust the mixture screws. I think my bike is running to lean. The carbs have a hard time catching up when you rev it. It only bogs at idle thankfully. While riding, its great. The only odd thing is the popping, which personally i think sounds cool.. is there a chance that i could burn a hole in one of the pistons if i do that plug chop test? I haven't gone over even 45 on the thing..., but ill fix that:D

1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jul 2010 23:34 #381896 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic exhaust popping while down shifting..
Also, i have an airbox installed and set up like the stock bike, just no filter or that cover and snorkel..

1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
13 Jul 2010 17:52 #382391 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic exhaust popping while down shifting..
loudhvx wrote:

In addition to what everyone else said, if your bike has the clean air injection system on the valve cover, and it's not functioning properly, it can cause large backfires through the exhaust.

BINGO!

That's the most likely problem. If you have the clean air valve still installed and not controlled by a properly connected vacuum line, it will pop like crazy on deceleration.

More
13 Jul 2010 18:18 #382396 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic exhaust popping while down shifting..
Block off plates are available at www.kzzone.com and at www.tpoparts.com They sell a kit with the plates, screws,vinyl plugs and instructions for kit # TPOHRSMOG

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
13 Jul 2010 19:38 #382426 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic exhaust popping while down shifting..
I am not sure exactly what carburetors you have, but my 650 has Mikuni BS32 CV carbs. I have recently learned by experimentation, that the bike runs terrible - I mean it may make only 10 horsepower while poping, stumbling, backfiring, etc. - All because I had removed the round top cover to the air box. This is the piece that screws onto the top of the air box and holds the filter in position. It has the "snorkel" that sticks down inside the filter.

Apparently the carbs need the slight restriction to run well. I replaced the cover / snorkel piece, and the bike runs great. I recommend getting one.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
15 Jul 2010 07:20 #382815 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic exhaust popping while down shifting..
Sounds like you have the air injection disabled with a hose connecting one side to the other. That should work fine, but make sure there are no leaks, and the ports that originally had vac hoses to the air system should be capped off.