Cheating Flywheel puller?

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jun 2010 05:43 #376018 by Kitten Tooth
Cheating Flywheel puller? was created by Kitten Tooth
As you guys know, i have a 1981 KZ1000LTD. I removed my left side engine cover and oil poured out. After further investigation, i found that i had a wet stator so that was supposed to be in there. Now, the three bolts on my starter clutch are loose and need thread lock. I know this now because the the disk in between the magnetic flywheel for the stator and the drive gear for the starter wiggles back and forth instead of one way. now, i haven't got the magnetic flywheel off because i know you need a special puller for it. I heard that there is a way to cheat and get a ball bearing that fits the end of that hole perfect and buy a bolt that fits the outside threads on that spindle that comes out. tighten the bolt down on the ball bearing that i resting on the end of the crank shaft and it will pop the flywheel off. What size bolt do i need to fit those threads? And if you guys know, what size ball bearing?

Thanks guys,
KT

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2010 05:48 #376020 by thompsonmx100
Replied by thompsonmx100 on topic Cheating Flywheel puller?
its either 18mm or 16mm x 1.25

2006 gs 500 streetfighter
1982 gpz750 breathed on wreck
1985 gpz750
Kz 650

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
16 Jun 2010 05:58 #376024 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Cheating Flywheel puller?
I don't know that rotors thread size.
But for thr Z1 & KZ900 engines, you can use a stock rear axle

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
16 Jun 2010 09:12 #376067 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Cheating Flywheel puller?
The big bolt on the upper triple tree will thread into the 900/1000 rotor. Not sure about your bike but might be worth a try

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
16 Jun 2010 10:53 #376095 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Cheating Flywheel puller?
On a 750 tein, the rear axle threads into the flywheel and pops it off.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jun 2010 12:16 #376103 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic Cheating Flywheel puller?
Thank you very much guys. Im gonna buy both the 18 and 16 mm bolts first. Just in case we need to do this again, i have the proper bolt in the top of my toolbox:)

Very nice,
KT

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

More
16 Jun 2010 23:47 #376268 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Cheating Flywheel puller?
Don't forget,
If it is tight,
Don't over tighten and mess up your rotor,
When it's tight, if it has not "poped" off yet,
Whack the head of the bolt "flush" with a hammer.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
17 Jun 2010 16:48 #376422 by Fozzie
Replied by Fozzie on topic Cheating Flywheel puller?
So does anyone have a picture of what the engine looks like on the left side without the cover? Kitten Tooth, any chance of a pic or two? I will be replacing that little grommet that the wires pass thru this weekend and just want to prepare myself for what I will expect to see. Thanks!

1982 KZ1000J

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
17 Jun 2010 17:21 - 17 Jun 2010 17:27 #376425 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Cheating Flywheel puller?
Fozzie wrote:

So does anyone have a picture of what the engine looks like on the left side without the cover? Kitten Tooth, any chance of a pic or two? I will be replacing that little grommet that the wires pass thru this weekend and just want to prepare myself for what I will expect to see. Thanks!

Really a good idea to own a service manual if you're going to work on your own bike :)

bikebandit.com has all the fiche pictures for your motor with part numbers...

When you pull the cover there will be a starter gear, shaft and 2 washers.

Inside the cover is the stator assembly. You'll need an impact driver and allen wrench to remove it.

Wires plug in under the sprocket cover. Yank the foot peg, shifter, starter cover and sprocket cover, then the generator cover.

You can leave the clutch cable attached to the sprocket cover and just swing the works out of the way.

Have a good look at your clutch cable while you've got it apart. Good opportunity to lube the clutch adjuster worm gear while the sprocket cover is off and lube your clutch cable as well...

Nothing difficult about the job you're about to take on but it's always a lot easier if you have the manual... :)
Last edit: 17 Jun 2010 17:27 by larrycavan.

More
17 Jun 2010 17:34 #376431 by Fozzie
Replied by Fozzie on topic Cheating Flywheel puller?
Yeah, a manual would help alot lol. I bought one from ebay(or so I thought) but it turned out to be a cd manual and was actually blank, so I got burned but it is on the agenda to get one. Figured in the mean time I would pick yalls brains. I'm actually an army mechanic and figured owning this bike would be simple b/c track vehicles are a cinch(guess I thought if I can fix a tank I can fix anything) but I was wrong, the mechanics of this thing seem simple but is just a new playing field for me. But thanks for sharing some of that great knowledge!

1982 KZ1000J

More
12 Sep 2016 18:11 #742014 by jacoatl
Replied by jacoatl on topic Cheating Flywheel puller?
Help,
Been trying to get the flywheel off, tried with rear axle, hammering , some heat, tapping the outside which resulted in cracking two of the magnets. Can I still use it, repair(glue)or is it junk?

Still haven't gotten the flywheel off and getting scared to hammer the axle any more and will go look for a ball bearing or order the tool.

Thank you.

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
13 Sep 2016 00:25 #742049 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Cheating Flywheel puller?
FYI - the '81 and up "J" rotors seem like the worst ones to remove, as there is no woodruff key to keep them from slipping / spinning on the end of the crank. That makes the surfaces of the tapers galled and rough, and they lock / seize together like they are welded on in some cases.

The proper rotor puller tool is heat treated high carbon steel - very hard and tough steel. I would recommend only the proper tool for these stuck on late model rotors. I use a special high torque 1/2" drive air impact wrench on the badly stuck on ones - short trigger bursts, followed by moderate tapping square on the end of the puller tool with a medium weight ball peen hammer. Don't strike the rotor itself. I've only had to use propane torch once (the first one I ever removed, the rotor had spun badly and both crank end and rotor were scrap metal).

Any damage to the rotor requires replacement - the thing spins at engine speed and is a critical part for engine balance and... your safety! When reinstalling the rotor, check and make sure there is no noticeable out of round, axial or radial run out as the crank is rotated.

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....