leaking oil from exhaust

More
17 Jun 2010 09:47 #376331 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic leaking oil from exhaust
bj1lake wrote:

...let the bike run for one hour to let oil left in pipe burn of only to see it pouring out the pipe were it bolts to header were the pipes meet the baffle.so then i shut it down puled plugs again to find #3 plug was wet...also the oil level was at center of bubble

Oil level remaining at center of bubble in spite of so much "oil" pouring out the pipe were it bolts to header where the pipes meet the baffle ---

Perhaps it isn't "oil" pouring out. Because the oil level should drop when losing so much oil.

Perhaps #3 cylinder is failing to combust, for whatever reason, resulting in "wet" plug.

Perhaps engine is running on less that all four cylinders.

Perhaps all the unburned fuel from cylinder #3 is collecting inside the muffler, where it combines with normal exhaust carbon, to form a black liquid goo that drains out looking similar to oil.

Just thoughts.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
17 Jun 2010 10:51 #376339 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic leaking oil from exhaust
You mentioned you just bought the bike. Maybe it had problems in the past that let oil into the exhaust and the previous owner fixed it prior to selling it to you.(That would explain why the motor is so clean) Maybe a good long ride would burn out the oil, as long as its not still leaking into the pipe.

Go to the carwash with a hand full of quarters and a can of gunk and clean off all the oil. Then spray some white foot powder in an aerosol can where your gaskets are and the leak will magically appear. You will have some white powder on your motor when done but will wash off with water.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
17 Jun 2010 11:48 #376353 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic leaking oil from exhaust
You're running too rich.

...oops, wrong forum. :silly:

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125