cam degree

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 Jun 2010 16:57 #373158 by hocbj23
cam degree was created by hocbj23
Just received a set of "j" cams for my 82 CSR.My assumption is that I will use the J specs to degree these cams when I install them and not the specs for the K bike they are going in. Correct or not?Sounds like a stupid question when I wrote it out but one never knows.Thanks much.bj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2010 17:02 #373161 by richard head
Replied by richard head on topic cam degree
No worries mate. The lengthy and highly entertainig tutorials will follow shortly. Sit tight.

More
03 Jun 2010 17:11 - 03 Jun 2010 17:11 #373166 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic cam degree
richard head wrote:

No worries mate. The lengthy and highly entertainig tutorials will follow shortly. Sit tight.

why you waste your time on literary dribble that will be erased within 20 mins of your posting is something that questions your sanity.....doesnt the double wide need some attention with the spray gun?.....:laugh:
Last edit: 03 Jun 2010 17:11 by keith1.

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 Jun 2010 17:11 #373167 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic cam degree
Thanks.Dont need a tutorial,just need a simple answer as to which set of specs to use.BJ

More
03 Jun 2010 17:14 #373169 by richard head
Replied by richard head on topic cam degree
keith1 wrote:

richard head wrote:

why you waste your time on literary dribble that will be erased within 20 mins of your posting is something that questions your sanity.....doesnt the double wide need some attention with the spay gun?.....:laugh:

Only before your power washing.

hocbj23, I believe you have a J motor. That would answer your question. But will wait to see if anything has been missed. Are they stock cams ?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Jun 2010 17:22 #373175 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic cam degree
You would use the spec's for the cams that you will be installing.
Do you have adjustable cam sprockets? And a degree wheel/ dial indicator? Otherwise you will be installing per factory service manual by lining up marks.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
03 Jun 2010 17:28 #373180 by beefsquasher
Replied by beefsquasher on topic cam degree
I believe that stock lobe centers are a non-adjustable 110, both intake and exhaust. If you have adjustable cam gears and you want to run the bike as stock, set them there.

You can fiddle around with the timing if you want (just remember to turn the engine over slowly a couple of times to make sure nothing hits). I set my stockers at 107-108 and picked up a bit of midrange. I currently run Kenny Harmon L1 cams at 104-105.

I have fooled around with the timing a bit, and it seems that unless you are wayyyyyy off (like a whole tooth) the bike will still run generally fine.

-Dave

1977 KZ1000 Mutt - 1075, Kenny Harmon Cams .400", RS34, Kerker, Dyna S

1997 Honda XR250R
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 BMW R60/5

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
03 Jun 2010 17:30 #373181 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic cam degree
I recently put J cams into my 82 LTD, I wondered the same thing, so either we are both stupid or it's a normal question for someone new to these bikes (or bikes in general). The abbreviated answer was this - you can degree them with a wheel and all that if you are anal, BUT since your new J cams are stock cams for that same motor (J motor) the cam sprockets are not adjustable and the markings are all the same. Just follow the manuals installation instructions and you will be good. Easy!

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 Jun 2010 17:32 #373182 by hocbj23
I do have the J motor,but it is a K bike (92 hp).J bikes with J motors have different cams that give it about 10 more hp (102).These are stock Kawi J bike/J motor cams.No adjustment on the sprockets,but degree wheel/dial indicator are available and I have help in the form of a long time engine builder in case it is needed.Kawi shop manual in my possession.So I am going to assume J bike/J cam specs.If not accurate ,someone please yell "Stop,stupid" real loud.Thanks.Lol.BJ

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Jun 2010 17:40 #373189 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic cam degree
You have to have adjustable sprockets where they bolt to the cam, just install per manual, unless you want to learn how to degree a cam. This is a great thing to know but seldom needed on a stock install.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 Jun 2010 17:44 #373193 by hocbj23
Thanks Dave,Motorhead and 9am.No novice to bikes and engine work in general,but very new to DOHC technology and Kawi in particular.Lookin forward to the week end when me and "Bad Company" are gonna have a cam party.Thanks again.bj

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
03 Jun 2010 18:43 #373228 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic cam degree
Just make sure the sprockets are not on upside down for some reason (compare your old cams to the new ones to make sure the lobes on the cams and markings on the sprockets are all kosher) then just install according to manual... thats the beauty of installing "stock" cams, there is no need to mess around...you can even up the ante and throw in some GPz cams for more performance and still use the same old stock sprocket markings and shop manual instrucions!

BTW, like I said I did the same swap this winter...you will find at 3000 rpm the freight train will not hit as hard with the J cams, BUT at about 6000 watch out. BTW, do you have a new tach? the J cams don't have a tach gear