fuel coming out exhaust

More
07 Mar 2019 20:34 - 07 Mar 2019 20:35 #799912 by Calebsmith12890
Replied by Calebsmith12890 on topic fuel coming out exhaust
One difference I am seeing is that the jet needle on the bad side doesn't appear to seat as far as the other side. I've attached pictures of both, but i'm not sure if this difference could be the issue? I haven't messed with those needles at all, but I did replace the slide diaphragms on both slides.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Mar 2019 20:35 by Calebsmith12890.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2019 08:46 - 08 Mar 2019 08:47 #799930 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fuel coming out exhaust

Calebsmith12890 wrote: I have tested the float level unfortunately, if anything they seem a little low. They are both exactly the same as far as I can see, and the only side leaking is the left.

Has the fuel level been checked via clear tube tests?

With a badly leaking float valve, I suspect it should be difficult or impossible to perform a valid clear tube test because the level inside the float bowl keeps steadily rising so as to prevent a stable level inside the clear tube.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 08:47 by Patton.

More
08 Mar 2019 09:08 #799931 by Calebsmith12890

Patton wrote:

Calebsmith12890 wrote: I have tested the float level unfortunately, if anything they seem a little low. They are both exactly the same as far as I can see, and the only side leaking is the left.

Has the fuel level been checked via clear tube tests?

With a badly leaking float valve, I suspect it should be difficult or impossible to perform a valid clear tube test because the level inside the float bowl keeps steadily rising so as to prevent a stable level inside the clear tube.

I did test the fuel level with the clear tube test, which is what I meant about them testing potentially slightly low, sorry about the bad choice of wording. They both appear even, and tested easily. The only thing is that I only did the test with the bike off, not running. Thank you for the response. Is it safe to say the jet needle seating differently wouldn't be an issue here?

More
08 Mar 2019 13:07 #799946 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fuel coming out exhaust
The vacuum petcock set in its normal running position is designed to disallow fuel flow when the engine isn't running. This may give a false reading on the clear tube test, because the petcock itself is preventing fuel flow from reaching the float valve.

Would again perform the clear tube test, but with the petcock set to allow fuel flow even though the engine isn't running, which is probably the position marked PRI (Prime). This is to assure fuel flow is reaching the float valve whereby it could keep passing through a leaking float valve and keep rising inside the float bowl (and also rising in the clear tube).

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Mar 2019 14:31 - 08 Mar 2019 14:34 #799954 by Calebsmith12890

Patton wrote: The vacuum petcock set in its normal running position is designed to disallow fuel flow when the engine isn't running. This may give a false reading on the clear tube test, because the petcock itself is preventing fuel flow from reaching the float valve.

Would again perform the clear tube test, but with the petcock set to allow fuel flow even though the engine isn't running, which is probably the position marked PRI (Prime). This is to assure fuel flow is reaching the float valve whereby it could keep passing through a leaking float valve and keep rising inside the float bowl (and also rising in the clear tube).

Thank you for the response, the clear tube test was done both times with constant fuel delivery. Once with the tank in prime, and another with the fuel running directly from a gas can I setup to bypass the tank/petcock altogether. The second time I tried after adjusting the float height just to see if I would notice a difference and I must not have adjusted enough because both sides seem about the same at a little less than a quarter inch below the bowl seam.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 14:34 by Calebsmith12890.