Horrible rebuild results!?

More
06 May 2010 16:41 - 06 May 2010 16:42 #366006 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Horrible rebuild results!?
Well, the carbs are off the engine, so I can't try the no-cable to see if it still stays revved, but that cable is not kinked and quite smooth, and I could both see and feel the linkage closing fully every time.

I have not pulled the pilot screws yet, but I will check for the O rings. Valve clearances were closely checked while putting the top end back together.

Yep, checked the advancer and no problems. I did notice that two of the carbs didn't have the sealent I used all the way around the carb throats, and I suppose that could be an air leak area.

As everyone knows, the four carbs are bolted onto two bars to make them all a single assembly. If I seperate them for cleaning, will I have a problem later rigging the throttle and choke linkages, and the fuel tubes back together. I see nothing about this in the manual?
Last edit: 06 May 2010 16:42 by polkat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2010 19:28 #366070 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Horrible rebuild results!?
When I had mine off, I looked long and hard about separating the carbs. I can't remember exactly how the connection was made but the choke butterflies looked like they were going to be a bugger to reassemble. In my opinion, there isn't any cleaning you couldn't do with it in one piece that would really make a difference in the performance.
Again, just my opinion

More
06 May 2010 20:16 - 06 May 2010 20:19 #366082 by polkat
Sounds good...one less thing to worry about! I'm ordering new jets and head to carb boots from Z1, the last of which I think might be the actual problem with the rev thing. I'll report back on how it all works out.
Last edit: 06 May 2010 20:19 by polkat.

More
06 May 2010 20:22 #366084 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Horrible rebuild results!?
polkat wrote:

...did notice that two of the carbs didn't have the sealent I used all the way around the carb throats, and I suppose that could be an air leak area....

The Moto 1 sealer used on the old cracked manifolds (discussed elsewhere) is likely failing to prevent air leaks. Altho touted as fuel-proof, perhaps it isn't heat-proof.

To my knowledge, there's no product that satisfactorily works long term in this application.

Here's the pic from the other thread. To me, these seem pretty much beyond hope.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
06 May 2010 22:33 #366110 by polkat
Yea, that's why I'm getting replacements. To be honest though, I couldn't find any visual leaking at the head side of those (I had also spread a thin coating inside at the joint). No cracking in the Moto 1 stuff that I could observe either. The stuff is supposed to be good to 350 degrees. Not the hottest I guess, but over 350 degrees would probably burn the rubber a bit.

But at the other end where the carbs push in, the stuff did spread around a bit. Still, new will be better, although I'll probably seal the new ones as well.