low compression

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
16 Apr 2010 10:01 #361132 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic low compression
run990 wrote:

from your valve clearances i would say someone has been playing about with them ,hence it being left stood

I thought the same thing! I figured the prior owner, at 29,000 miles, decided to take on a 'do-it-yourself' valve adjustment and got the shims all mixed up, and then realizing he was in deep sh*t, gave up on it and that's when he abandoned the bike. Maybe he had another bike he had to ride and didn't need the kz so just gave up instead of swallowing his pride, getting it towed to a shop and paying to have it done correctly.

It makes sense. In fact, that's exactly what happened to me, except I had no other wheels -- I *had* to get my kz1000 fixed back then in 1978, because I had no other form of transportation, even though I knew I was looking at big $$ in shop time plus a tow $$, and also some damage to my pride.

After the cylinder head on my '77 kz1000 jerked free back then and all the shims came flying off the buckets, I realized 'hey I think I'm in trouble here, I now have 8 shims on my garage floor, and I do not know which valve to put each one back on to.'

I had the bike towed to the shop, I knew they'd smirk a bit at my mistake but I had to have transportation. 'Carl' the mechanic spent 3 hours (which I paid for so I remember) doing a complete re-shim of all the valves.

Looks like, in the case of this kz900, the prior owner messed up the shims and then gave up. Because, there's no getting around that #3 cylinder has good compression yet the clearance got much bigger, just the opposite of what normally happens, indicating he put the wrong shims (too thin) back into #3, and who knows where else.

I most likely will pull the head and will definitely make sure he got the cam timing right. And also thanks for the tip about filling her up with kerosene during the job.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2010 10:06 #361135 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic low compression
Link14 wrote:

Another thing that I found when I pulled my head was uneven carbon buildup on the valve seat. I'm pretty sure that, plus the valve stems sticking in the guides was the primary reason for my low compression.

That and bad valve seals lets oil gunk build up on the seats which holds the valves open and also increases clearance because the valves no longer seat. That will make compression very low.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.