SSMOKINNNNNNNN'

• HEYJACKO
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • .....now what?!!
More
10 Apr 2010 16:40 #359739 by HEYJACKO
SSMOKINNNNNNNN' was created by HEYJACKO
Hoping someone can enlighten me. I finally got my bike to the point I was going to take it for the inaugural ride.....idling nice, rebuilt the front calipers/master cylinder, headlight...to cut to the chase. Had it idling there for about 5 mins. and smoke started coming out from I guessed the cylinder head cover....not exactly sure where it's coming from. Pulled the gas tank and the top bars are smokin' hot. I don't see any leaks around the cylinder head cover. Coils maybe? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2010 16:58 #359746 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic SSMOKINNNNNNNN'
Did you try touching the coils? If they're getting hot enough to heat up the top frame rails that much they'd definitely feel hot to the touch. If the coils aren't superheated you'd almost have to be running real lean to get that hot, have you checked the plugs? If you're real lean they'll be white...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• HEYJACKO
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • .....now what?!!
More
10 Apr 2010 17:16 #359752 by HEYJACKO
Replied by HEYJACKO on topic SSMOKINNNNNNNN'
I didn't check how hot the coils were. I had just pulled the plugs and they were black (too rich) so I did back out the air screws about a 1/4 turn. I will get her going again and see if I can do some additional fine tuning and check the coil temp. Seemed AWFULLY hot though.

• HEYJACKO
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • .....now what?!!
More
10 Apr 2010 17:17 #359753 by HEYJACKO
What would make the coils heat up like that?

More
10 Apr 2010 17:40 #359768 by rt green
Replied by rt green on topic SSMOKINNNNNNNN'
check your grounds

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
10 Apr 2010 18:23 #359800 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic SSMOKINNNNNNNN'
Check grounds, yes.
Also check voltage while the bike is idling. The voltage should never go over like 15.5V at any time.

Don't let the bike idle for very long intervals. Are you sure it was only 5 minutes, cause these old bikes can overheat if the idle circuit has a lean condition, and they are left to heat up without getting some movement.

GL!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• HEYJACKO
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • .....now what?!!
More
10 Apr 2010 19:13 #359822 by HEYJACKO
OK...seems I'm a dork. I had the air screws turned out one whole extra turn. The coils don't seem overly hot, I think they are ok but I will check the voltage. I did the coil mod a while back and everything checked out ok at the time.

The crankcase breather is smoking pretty good though. I've only had this bike running (and I say running as in idling sitting still) a few times for a few minutes each. Prior to that it was sitting in a barn for few years.

I think I'm closing in on this thing...hehe....famous last words.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
10 Apr 2010 20:41 #359840 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic SSMOKINNNNNNNN'
If the bike has been sitting along time you are likely to smell all kinds of things as the motor warms up. Make sure you clean the tank real good so you dont suck up all the crud into the carbs.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• HEYJACKO
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • .....now what?!!
More
10 Apr 2010 21:43 #359855 by HEYJACKO
Yep....the tank was pretty rusted up. I cleaned it out really good shook the hell out of it with some closed link chain and about 100 1/4" nuts , then used "prep and etch" phosphoric acid to clean up the last of the rust. All and all, came out ok. I also added in-line filters to the fuel lines.

So there's a chance this stuff is just left over sludge and such that has accumulated in the cylinders and crank case? When I got it, the bike was bone dry, no oil, no brake fluid, and the carbs were pretty grimy.

I'm sure these are all newbie questions, this is the first bike I've worked on....hell, I've haven't done much with any vehicle.

Thanks for all the great info guys!

More
10 Apr 2010 22:31 - 10 Apr 2010 22:32 #359859 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic SSMOKINNNNNNNN'
Would also sniff-test crankcase oil to check for possible fuel intrusion into the crankcase (which may result from clogged carb overflow circuit).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 Apr 2010 22:32 by Patton.

More
11 Apr 2010 05:04 #359879 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic SSMOKINNNNNNNN'
If just idling and checking things out with engine running.... Throw a cooling fan (home circulating fan) aimed at the engine... this is a must!

Remember, these old KZ's are air cooled... of which you have none just sitting there so it will get severely hot...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
11 Apr 2010 05:31 #359880 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic SSMOKINNNNNNNN'
If it's lean and running hot, you will see it in your pipes close to the head. They will start to blue. As far as the plugs, just choking the bike and warming it up without driving it can dirty up the plugs. Need to get out there and ride it to clear up those plugs.

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..