compression numbers

• bigkzfan
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • if grandpa had tits he"d be grandma, if
More
30 Oct 2009 11:35 - 30 Oct 2009 11:38 #330504 by bigkzfan
Replied by bigkzfan on topic compression numbers
gotcha i did another cold test today 160 in number 1 cylinder 4 has 150 number 2 was 120 and until i can fix number 3 spark plug hole last reading was 120 psi...took carbs off to go thru them again and took chain adjuster off also...i am starting to see this may be worn chain guides or needs valve shims put in like everyone has been suggesting.i am keeping my fingers crossed:

hello, i own a 1982 kz1000 j model with a 4into1 header and factory air box...
Last edit: 30 Oct 2009 11:38 by bigkzfan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2009 02:40 #330600 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic compression numbers
bigkzfan wrote:

...was running perfectly fine. just happened all at once it seems...what about the higher compression it had when i put a t-spoon of oil in the cylinders??? that seems to me it would indicate worn rings right?? when i start it now it backfires real crazy and i am having a problem with each cylinder firing at start up to...have a problem with number one carb filling with fuel and running out the back....

number one carb filling with fuel and running out the back

Oil might be contaminated by fuel getting into crankcase.

Would sniff-test oil and examine its condition.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
01 Nov 2009 09:29 - 01 Nov 2009 09:31 #330860 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic compression numbers
Put a few thousand more miles on it after properly cleaning out the carbs via blowing compressed air and carbcleaner thru all the carbs passage ways. The flost valve seats can be cleaned to reseal properly with some polish on a q-tip - makes them nice and shiny new and works quite well.

All fuel volumes/float heights in the bowls must be correct/perfectly identical for the carbs to work properly!

Ride it good and hard checking plugs. Then check your valve gaps cold, and your compression hot.

Fix your valve shims, and make sure the cam chain tensioner is working properly.

If it feels fine and smooth, and sounds good/starts good, then just ride it :P

Or... rebuild the whole engine. If your going to tear into replaccing rings, may as well have the engine out and check everything and replace the old cam chain too.
Expect it to be off the road for a while, as you DO NOT want to rush an engine rebuild.

Double check everything... 2 wheels, not 4. :laugh:

Good luck with all...

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 01 Nov 2009 09:31 by TeK9iNe.