Gas Dripping Out of Airbox

More
13 Aug 2009 19:25 #313777 by Norseman
Gas Dripping Out of Airbox was created by Norseman
I finally got my 81 KZ1000 M1 back together after almost two years. The bike ran great when disassembled, but now there's a problem. Carbs stored clean, dry and cool while rebuilding bike. Finished re-assembly last night and put gas in tank. Bike fired right up, and I ran it a couple of minutes. Ten minutes later, I re-started the bike, and now it ran rough on idle with a lot of popping in the exhaust. this morning when I started it, the exhaust popped/coughed a couple of time on choke, but ran smooth with no popping once I pushed the choke in. Then I noticed a small puddle of gas under the bike, and traced the source to the drain nipple under the airbox.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start diagnosing? This has never happened before where a significant amount of gas was forced into the airbox. Is it most likely a carb problem after sitting dry for so long? I had re-built the carbs just before tear-down, and like I said, I did drain all gas out of the carbs before putting them on the storage rack.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - hoping to do the Woodward Dream Cruise here in Detroit on Saturday, but right now, my hopes are not very high for that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jswag5
  • User
  • whats the big deal about harley, i prefer 4 cyls!!
More
13 Aug 2009 19:28 #313779 by jswag5
Replied by jswag5 on topic Gas Dripping Out of Airbox
check ur valves, if an intake valve holds open while on compression stroke it will force fuel into the airbox.

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber
78 honda cx500 standard cafe
RECENT 81 honda goldwing(barn fresh with 15000 on the clock)
if you cant fix it with a hammer and duct tape, get a bigger hammer and more duct tape!!

More
13 Aug 2009 19:33 #313780 by bigkaw815
Replied by bigkaw815 on topic Gas Dripping Out of Airbox
Did you put the cams back in? Could be out of phase, off a tooth, etc...Got to be the intake valves letting gas back into the carb and subsequently the airbox.

More
13 Aug 2009 19:47 #313783 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Gas Dripping Out of Airbox
Thanks, Guys. Actually, the engine has been untouched. I took the bike down to the bare frame, sandblasted and repainted. Brand new pro paint job on tank, covers, fenders, etc. Replaced shifter seals, new sprockets and chain, brakelines, steering bearings/races, swingarm bearings, fork seals, etc. But engine was not rebuilt, it just sat on the engine stand for awhile.

The bike only has 13K miles on it, so I didn't see the need for an engine re-build.

• jswag5
  • User
More
13 Aug 2009 19:52 #313785 by jswag5
yeah, but a valve adjustment, or a stuck valve needing freed up from sitting may be to blame, even if the engine was untouched.

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber
if you cant fix it with a hammer and duct tape, get a bigger hammer and more duct tape!!

More
13 Aug 2009 20:01 - 13 Aug 2009 20:03 #313787 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Gas Dripping Out of Airbox
Are your carb overflow hoses routed into the airbox ?
Sticking carb float or float valve or spec of dirt under a float valve ???

My suggestion would be to clean the carbs and use Q tip soaked in carb cleaner on the float valve seats.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 13 Aug 2009 20:03 by JR.

More
13 Aug 2009 20:04 #313788 by Norseman
Well, a stuck valve could be the culprit. Best way to address that, or even verify? I had done the valve clearence adjustments to nominal shortly before tear-down, so I just assumed it was still good.

I am a complete novice with engines, so any guidance on checking to see if valves are moving freely would be appreciated, guys.

More
13 Aug 2009 20:12 #313790 by Norseman
JR - I have removed the smog system and have a manual petcock, so all four nipples on carbs have caps on them. Am I missing something here? I don't have an overflow hose.

• jswag5
  • User
More
14 Aug 2009 02:22 #313830 by jswag5
BTW, i learned the hard way not to try to start a bike that was filling the airbox with gas the hard way, i took rags and dried out the airbox as best i could, went to crank the bike and had a backfire throught the carbs, and FOOM!!! up in flames went the airbox!

just be careful give the fuel time to dry, use compressed air to verify the airbox is clear of fumes, and keep a liquid rated fire extinguisher at the ready, justin case.

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber

More
14 Aug 2009 11:47 #313904 by Norseman
I pulled the carbs to verify intake valves were operating freely and found little pools of gas in the carb holders for #2 and #3. Cleaned everything up real good and turned the engine by hand. Everything moves freely. Tore all the carbs down to check float movement and levels. Reassembled everything now, but I want to check the oil for contamination before I start the engine. I hope the oil is fine as it is brand new oil/filter.

jswag5, yep, when I thought I had cleaned the airbox good, I tilted it upside-down and another good-sized pool of gas ran down from the bottom of box, so thanks for the warning, it made me check thoroughly with airbox removed!

Floats move freely and the plungers on the float valves likewise. So, after I check the oil I'll start it up and see what happens. If it starts coughing and popping again on choke, I'll shut it down again. Will advise.

Thanks for your help, guys!!!

More
14 Aug 2009 15:17 #313918 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Gas Dripping Out of Airbox
Capped overflow lines?????

Not a good idea! Those are there so that if the bike ends up on it's side or a float sticks the excess fuel drains out the overflows, not into the engine and airbox. I almost guarantee your original problem was a sticking float, a very common problem with any carb that's been dry for a long time. Easiest solution is to simply tap the offending float bowl with the butt of a screwdriver until fuel stops dribbling.

Either way, your oil is now probably contaminated with gas, so you must do an oil change.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
14 Aug 2009 16:25 #313940 by Norseman
Okay, now I'm a little confused. I was referring to the vacuum ports being all capped. My understanding is one was capped at the factory, two had the smog system attached, and the fourth was for the vacuum controlled petcock. There are no other fittings on my carbs. Since I removed the smog system and went to a manual petcock, that leaves all four capped.

Obviously, especially after what just happened, I would like to install the overflow tube. My only problem is I can't find where an overflow tube should go. My OEM service manual doesn't talk about one, the parts diagrams from kawasaki.com doesn't show one, and I don't have a clue where it should be. BTW, the carbs are Mikuni BS34's.

Appreciate your help, folks!