Copper Head Washers

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2006 08:44 #30631 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Copper Head Washers was created by BARNEYHYPHEN
1976 Kz900 with 1015 block. I have annealed the washers for reuse but have a question. Do ALL 12 studs have to have a copper washer under them or only specific ones? Search as I might in both manuals I have, i can find absolutely now reference to this.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2006 08:52 #30636 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Copper Head Washers
outside 2 on eachend of head other washers are steel.:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
13 Mar 2006 10:56 #30667 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Copper Head Washers
I have to disagree with the usually astute wireman. All 12 washers are copper on every KZ/Z1 I have ever taken apart. It would make some sense to use steel on the inside eight studs but I have never seen a steel washer used. The only ones that need to be copper, really, are the outside studs as these are where the oil will come gushing as they sit in the oil journals where oil is pumped up to the cams.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2006 11:07 #30677 by wireman
mine are usually all copper also,but i actually looked this one up in the kawasaki shop manual pge 51 in the 99931-540-03 manual 77kz 1000 a1 on cover.i normally use all copper washers,but ive been nailed a couple times on here for not following the manual exactly.:whistle: you guys have to argue with the manual on this one!:woohoo: goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
13 Mar 2006 11:31 #30682 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic Copper Head Washers
guys, I took the top end off my G1 classic this weekend and there were NO washers. I had 16 10mm bolts.

I was just taking the cam cover off to replace the gasket and the rubber plugs. Are you guys talking about this or a different part of the motor?

Now I'm scared ...:(

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
13 Mar 2006 11:34 #30685 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Copper Head Washers
IowaKZ wrote:

guys, I took the top end off my G1 classic this weekend and there were NO washers. I had 16 10mm bolts.

I was just taking the cam cover off to replace the gasket and the rubber plugs. Are you guys talking about this or a different part of the motor?

Now I'm scared ...:(

You are talking about the cam cover, they are talking about the head studs :laugh:

KD9JUR

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2006 11:38 #30688 by wireman
the actual cylinder head where it bolts to cylinder is what were trying to figure out.;) valve cover just has bolts with gasket to seal it and the cam plugs on the ends.goodluck,happy wrenching!

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2006 12:32 #30704 by wireman
no head studs here,just the carb king and a Retired normally astute(?) screwoff .:woohoo: goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
13 Mar 2006 14:35 #30735 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Copper Head Washers
I think it depends on which model motor you are working on. I remember having motors with all copper washers but the last few I've seen have steel washers. Sorry, I can't tell you which motors were which, but I've seen them both ways. Lots of help, huh?

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
13 Mar 2006 15:09 #30749 by Willo46
Replied by Willo46 on topic Copper Head Washers
A spare 76 KZ900 motor I picked up had never been apart as near as I can tell and it had all 12 copper washers. The original motor in my KZ900 just had copper washers on the outside 4 holes, steel on other 8. Since the cylinders had been bored it obviously had been apart and I really suspect the steel ones were not original.

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2006 16:41 #30786 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Copper Head Washers
Great news, we're ALL right! 76 KZ900 calls for 12 COPPER. 77 KZ1000 calls for 2 copper, 8 steel. Found this on www.buykawasaki.com .

Thanks all.

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2006 19:43 #30844 by wireman
drinks for everyone!:laugh:

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/03/13 22:45