CLEANING ENGINE ON BIKE WHAT WORKS BEST

More
19 Jun 2009 10:25 #300612 by Tedster
Hello
i am cleaning my kz1100 up, bike set for a while and has some grease around plug areas not much and some tarnish stains that ran down the cylinders from junky gas in carb and some grease around the shaft drive and hub,i sprayed some pb blast on them, works ok but is there something to use on it somekind of foam or something that will work better with out leaving a bunch of residue all over everything else,i have the carbs and tank and seat off,

Ted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2009 11:22 #300623 by madmart
Replied by madmart on topic CLEANING ENGINE ON BIKE WHAT WORKS BEST
found this info .....
dotheton.com/index.php?topic=9342.new;topicseen#new

although the guy cleaned his carbs it could be used to clean the engine, going to consider it myself !!

More
19 Jun 2009 11:28 #300624 by Mortarmanmike
Replied by Mortarmanmike on topic CLEANING ENGINE ON BIKE WHAT WORKS BEST
Is it painted or bare aluminum? I have some spray on aluminum wheel cleaner at the house that works well. Spray on, rinse off. It doesn't foam but cuts through brake dust and chain lube pretty well. It doesn't shine like a polish but it does strip the oxidation from AL. Doesn't leave a residue either. I don't recall the name - think I got it at pepboys or someplace like that. If it's painted what about just using an S100 solution and scrubbing it with soft bristles?

1979 KZ1000 Shafty

More
19 Jun 2009 12:24 #300632 by Tedster
Replied by Tedster on topic CLEANING ENGINE ON BIKE WHAT WORKS BEST
i am gonna talk to a guy up here at advance auto he has some sweet KZ900's and 1000's he has some nice looking bikes,i cleaned the pipes up and the chrome on the bike with some NEVER DULL cotton waddaing in a can works great but there are alot of hard to get at spots on the motor,i will clean it the best i can for now this winter i will take the motor off and do everything the right way,maybe not the right way to someone but its the best way i know how to

ted

More
19 Jun 2009 13:19 #300640 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic CLEANING ENGINE ON BIKE WHAT WORKS BEST
I like simple green and K&L Cycle wash. One thing I havve found to make your cleaner last longer is to use a foming hand soap dispenser to get the cleaner to stay put. With a non foaming applicator, you can watch you cleaner run off and when it is foamy, it tends to stay in place.
Carbs before
Attachments:

More
19 Jun 2009 13:19 #300641 by The Fish
Foamed up.
Attachments:

More
19 Jun 2009 13:23 #300642 by The Fish
Boy, this sucks. You can only put 1 picture per post. Whats up with that?
Carbs done and ultrasonic cleaned.
Attachments:

• M2bueller
  • User
  • Mental health is overated
More
19 Jun 2009 13:53 #300649 by M2bueller
Replied by M2bueller on topic CLEANING ENGINE ON BIKE WHAT WORKS BEST
The Fish wrote:

Boy, this sucks. You can only put 1 picture per post. Whats up with that?
Carbs done and ultrasonic cleaned.

Pretty parts B)

1978 KZ200
1996 Harley XL1200
1987 S10 Blazer
1983 Chris Craft Scorpion.
I guess I should buy something from this century

More
19 Jun 2009 16:34 #300739 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic CLEANING ENGINE ON BIKE WHAT WORKS BEST
I use armorall wheel cleaner. Must have a pressure to do a good job. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
19 Jun 2009 18:37 #300771 by Tedster
i have got a gallon of carb cleaner to clean the carbs,i am replacing all the seals and o rings any way,i used some gumout carb gel engine cleaner in a spray can and am not impressed with that stuff at all,i sprayed some carb cleaner on the heads and cylinders and scrubbed around with a brass and stainless tooth brush,that has worked better than anything so far.
i can't get between the fins that good and around the spark plugs i am gonna go buy a 270 caliber gun cleaner end to get between them,it will look good when i am done i will post some pics.

Ted

More
19 Jun 2009 18:40 #300773 by kpier998
Replied by kpier998 on topic CLEANING ENGINE ON BIKE WHAT WORKS BEST
WD40 is a pretty good cleaner for grease and oil. Spray on and use a soft brush or toothbrush to get in the tight spots to loosen up the grime. You can spray more on to wash off the mess, or switch to a soapy solution. I doubt it will do anything with the gas residue stains.

Mothers Carnuba with Cleaner will also do a good job cleaning up the engine as long as the surface is not porous. Kerosene isn't bad either.

Stay away from Zep products unless they are specifically for aluminum. I used some once and wound up with some sort of spotty corrosion that has been difficult to get rid of.

More
19 Jun 2009 18:41 #300774 by Tedster
i posted what works best for cleaning the engine,do you use the armour all on the carbs cleaning them or on the motor i seemed to lost you there,buy all means if you guys got some tricks to save money and to get stuff just as clean as using carb cleaner i want in on them

Ted