Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Thread Inserts Question 16 Mar 2006 04:21 #31583

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Barney! This is great.
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thread Inserts Question 16 Mar 2006 08:39 #31645

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • BARNEYHYPHEN's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
LTGTR, You're welcome. Just take your time, don't force anything that doesn't feel right and try to keep things as clean as possible.

I'm still waiting for my replacement rings from Australia so mine isn't back together yet either.

Thread Inserts Question 17 Mar 2006 09:37 #31965

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
I have new 40 over pistons and rings now, but everything works great now. i am going to hand lap the valves and install new valve seals. Keeping the new pistons for when I really need them. ;)
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Thread Inserts Question 02 Apr 2006 07:43 #36130

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
I was thinking about this, will the insert length (12mm) be different for a 650?

Thread Inserts Question 02 Apr 2006 08:35 #36137

• 79MKII
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
  • Thank you received: 43
BARNEYHYPHEN wrote:

The problem as I see it with the second builder's opinion is that you have to be absolutely sure that all POs actually DID torque the bolts correctly. Not a bet I'd take.

If the POs DIDN'T torque them correctly, the aluminium English) thread in the head WILL be stretched.

The reason I did all mine was because, although I was VERY careful to torque mine correctly the last time I did the job, I still stripped two of them. At that time I decided to over tap them to 7mm x 1mm. My thinking was that at some time in the future (now) I would still have enough "meat" left in the head to do the inserts.

Just my $0.02 worth.

UPDATE: The new builder informed me that he was installing heli-coils in 3 or 4 of the holes because they stripped when he was torquing down the cams for a bench shim. I bought the head used, so I'm sure someone has overtorqued the bolts at some point. I asked him to please go ahead and do ALL of the threads while he was in there. I don't want to have to drill, tap, and install after it's all together. Much easier to do and clean with the head apart. He has since told me that he does the heli-coils on race engines, but not usually street. I think inserts of some kind are almost necessary if you are going to have it apart with any frequency at all. Having a shim under bucket set up, my cams are out everytime I adjust the valves. Hopefully the heli-coils will hold as well as the nut-serts I had in my other head.
The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

Thread Inserts Question 03 Apr 2006 20:38 #36563

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Thats a good write up Barney, Im thinking that it might be a good idea to do my head while its off too. Preventing future problems is a good thing :)
Anyone know if the inserts are the same on 650s? (do we use 12mm too?)
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Thread Inserts Question 05 Apr 2006 10:56 #36934

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
77KZ650, It won't totally negate all future thread problems but I do believe it gets you back to a good solid thread. Not sure on the lengthnyou should use for the 650 but Ii'd bet a dime to a $, the 12mm long inserts would be perfect.

You might measure the thread length of one of the bolts to give you an idea how much thread in in the head?

Thread Inserts Question 11 Apr 2006 10:54 #38633

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
I just contacted an auto shop and they told me that the helicoil kit does not come with a drill bit!? Can anyone tell me what size drill bit I should be using? Thanks.

Thread Inserts Question 11 Apr 2006 11:01 #38634

• wireman
  • Visitor
the kit should tell you what size you need.;)

Thread Inserts Question 11 Apr 2006 12:08 #38657

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
The Helicoil KIT does come with both the correct drill and the correct tap. I will mic' the drill tonight for you if I can remember. Helicoil carefully doesn't tell you the size, they call it Helicoil #2 or some such BS, so you feel obliged to spend $8 for a new bit from Helicoil, rather than buying the same size bit for $1.75 at HD.

Thread Inserts Question 11 Apr 2006 12:33 #38662

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Helicoils for 6mm require a 1/4 inch bit.
Use a stop collar or some duct tape on the bit.
Make sure you drill and tap deeply enough. Look at the tap. The bottom 3 turns or so does not cut full thread depth. You'll have to drill deeply enough to account for this. If your squeamish you can spend some extra $ for the helicoil bottoming tap.
NAPA carries packs of 12 inserts at a good price. If not in stock, it will be there the next morning.
If you're really cheap you can make your own tool by grinding the end of a long 6mm bolt. Alignment of the tang holder is somewhat critical. It has to end on the thread. After a few attempts it's pretty easy.
You need the helicoil tap. It's not a standard size.

-Duck

Thread Inserts Question 11 Apr 2006 12:36 #38663

• wireman
  • Visitor
you can cut the end off off tap to make a poormans botteming tap.:whistle: