GPZ turbo engine offered to me.

More
26 Jan 2009 07:11 #260254 by Snakebyte
GPZ turbo engine offered to me. was created by Snakebyte
Well I posted some pics up on one of the other sites I belong to of the little project I have going, and someone offered a GPZ Turbo motor.
My question is will this fit a 77 650 Frame?
He did not specify what year nor if it actually had a turbo or not.
I'm still waiting for him to respond...........................................................................Waiting.............trying to be patient...................

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2009 07:19 #260256 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic GPZ turbo engine offered to me.
jump on it,you can make anything fit!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
26 Jan 2009 07:25 #260259 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic GPZ turbo engine offered to me.
The engine will bolt right in the frame.......but you are going to run into all kinds of issues with the electrical system if you are going to try and run the factory turbo setup since it had the DFI. You also will have a different charging system that will have to be adapted. Not impossible, but a heck of a lot of work.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
26 Jan 2009 09:05 #260280 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic GPZ turbo engine offered to me.
Hell you can make it fit. As long as you have the stator with the 750 motor you can fing a different harness and rec/reg to work.

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
26 Jan 2009 18:50 #260399 by steell
Replied by steell on topic GPZ turbo engine offered to me.
You do not want a GPz750 Turbo motor unless you are going to run a turbo on it, high compression aftermarket pistons are not available for the 750 Turbo (unless you go big buck custom pistons)..

Just need some spacers to mount it in the 6509 frame.

Starting from scratch like you will be, a MegaSquirt EFI system makes more sense than trying to adapt a 25 year old wiring harness to the bike.

We have a 750 Turbo motor that's going into a 650 frame, I'm just trying to convince my nephew that he really doesn't want to run 30 psi of boost and race gas on the street. He keeps talking about running E85, but who needs 250 hp on the street?

Kids! :laugh:

KD9JUR

More
26 Jan 2009 19:15 #260402 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic GPZ turbo engine offered to me.
E85 is highly corrosive and not to mension everything the fuel touches will have to be plastic or stainless steel. So if it sits in the carbs over night you might wake up to your carb foamy and the finish ruined.

The e85 cars have a sensor in the fuel line to sense if it is running on regular or e85. the way it tells that is the ohms. since fuel is an insulator it wont make the contact and the computer will know that you have regular fuel.
If it senses that you run the e85 it switches to a all new ball game with different timing curves and fuel to air ratio(25-50% more fuel). E85 is garbage fuel you dont want to run it. It is electrically inductive. All rubber, magnesium, and aluminum must NOT be used in the fuel system.

Besides E85 is more harmfull to the earth then regular fuel is. Due you know how much it takes to grow one gallon of fuel and then process it???

Your better off waiting a few more years for switch grass fuels. Way less toxic and corrosive, and you can grow it anywhere. It also grows 25 times faster then corn.

More
26 Jan 2009 19:16 #260403 by Snakebyte
One more thing to think about is you will have to run acid nuetralizing oil to the bike. I dont think its wet clutch approved either.

More
26 Jan 2009 20:52 #260418 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic GPZ turbo engine offered to me.
Snakebyte wrote:

E85 is highly corrosive and not to mension everything the fuel touches will have to be plastic or stainless steel. So if it sits in the carbs over night you might wake up to your carb foamy and the finish ruined.

The e85 cars have a sensor in the fuel line to sense if it is running on regular or e85. the way it tells that is the ohms. since fuel is an insulator it wont make the contact and the computer will know that you have regular fuel.
If it senses that you run the e85 it switches to a all new ball game with different timing curves and fuel to air ratio(25-50% more fuel). E85 is garbage fuel you dont want to run it. It is electrically inductive. All rubber, magnesium, and aluminum must NOT be used in the fuel system.

Besides E85 is more harmfull to the earth then regular fuel is. Due you know how much it takes to grow one gallon of fuel and then process it???

Your better off waiting a few more years for switch grass fuels. Way less toxic and corrosive, and you can grow it anywhere. It also grows 25 times faster then corn.

grass fuels?enlighten me oh wise one,can this stuff be made at home and how hard is it to make? you have my attention!B) B) B) B) B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
27 Jan 2009 03:44 #260433 by steell
MegaSquirt is Flex Fuel capable, and many people are running it that way.

The reason for E85 is that it's easily available, and you can run much more boost than with gasoline, not environmental reasons.

no carbs, EFI.

Haven't done the research (like I said, I'm trying to talk him out of it), but I know others are using Flex Fuel on older vehicles so it must be possible.

Think of it as running alcohol on the street :)

Like I said before, I'm not in favor of it, and I'm trying to talk him out of it.

KD9JUR

More
27 Jan 2009 12:16 #260490 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic GPZ turbo engine offered to me.
As Steell says the turbo engine is normally rubber mounted at the front, so you'll have to make up some spacers to fit it in the 650 frame. It's been done before a few times, and there are a couple of 750 Zephyrs with turbo engines on my site.

Well worth using the turbo engine if you actually want to run a turbo on it, otherwise forget it. I wouldn't bother with Megasquirt though, the standard EFI is highly capable ;)

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
27 Jan 2009 16:36 #260525 by steell
Since he's starting from a bare motor with absolutely no electronics, it's got to be a bunch easier to go with MegaSquirt and it's associated sensors rather than try to find a good stock Turbo computer with all the associated wiring and sensors.

And probably a lot cheaper as well.

KD9JUR

More
27 Jan 2009 19:46 #260561 by Snakebyte
Im still waiting for this guy to respond to my email.