homemade intake manifolds

More
20 Nov 2008 10:26 #248511 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic homemade intake manifolds
Glad to hear there are still some kids getting some hands-on with this stuff. It was probably my favorite class in high school. If oak creek was closer I could get you some scrap. We occasionally throw away aluminum parts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2008 10:59 #248518 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic homemade intake manifolds
Gane, Sudco sold the VM29 adapters for the CB750 version of the VM29 for quite awhile. I have a set. They seemed to work well for those who needed them.

As a suggestion on the hard carb holders... rather than the three grooves to give the clamp a grip, put a flange on the end that is 90 degrees and not beveled OR put two flanges if you can find a clamp where the joining part isn't wider than the strap. I would use no more rubber than is necessary to cover the carburetor venturi flange and add just a tad so that you don't have the venturi touching the metal carb holder inside the rubber pipe that joins them. The hard part will be getting the clamp that holds the carb to seal as they put ribs on the outside of the venturi that fit into a stock carb holder to provide some mechanical seal under the clamp. Last suggestion... if you are making generic carb holders for a variety of applications, you might consider drilling holes facing the outside of the holders and installing set screws. This would allow an adapter to be screwed in to synchronize multiple carburetors. If you need some suggestions, I have a full range of adapters and could check to see what the most common adapter size is... I suspect 5mm with .9 pitch but have never measured or used one of the many adapters I have.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
21 Nov 2008 15:39 #248693 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic homemade intake manifolds
I am refining the process to where it is about 45 minutes of machining and 45 minutes to get the casting done. i have two patterns almost done, i need to add a small fillet where the pipe joins the flange, i think it will cut down on the inclusions. for now the center is solid and i am boring it out, but in the future i would like to have a core so that i can save a little time and material. right now i am planning on making a set for my EFI KZ650 project. then i am going to make a few sets for stock 650's and them mount them for some testing. i do beleive that with this set up the retention on the stock airbox will not work, the carbs will be pushed out about 1/4 inch. anyway i will continue to develop these and hopefully i can make some stuff that will help some people.
George, right now the flange is a .250 inch and i am planning on future ones to drill through the flange for a vacuum connection. my GPZ throttle bodies have a connector on them so for now i will skip it.
in the picture i have three of the latest design mounted, i did not have time to make the forth, i will get to that maybe monday.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.
Attachments:

More
21 Nov 2008 15:47 #248696 by flht1997
couple other pictures before i loose them again. this on is right out of the mold, last pattern not the one i am using now

Matt Milwaukee, WI
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Attachments:

More
21 Nov 2008 15:49 #248697 by flht1997
this is the only picture in progress. 67 year old South Bend Heavy 13" running wide open :)

Matt Milwaukee, WI
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Attachments:

More
22 Nov 2008 03:54 #248772 by Zedone
Replied by Zedone on topic homemade intake manifolds
Great idea and very nice work by the way. I think that would be a great format for Nitros Injectors instead of using the large plate/manifold. Another thing to maybe make the hose clamps look cleaner would be using the aluminum ends/covers that come with Cool-Flex stainless flexible rad hoses. They come either polished or in many colors & you can get them individually. If you polished your manifolds and used the polished hose covers it would awesome!!! B) B) Doug

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet

More
22 Nov 2008 04:39 #248774 by Zedone
They might have to be shortened, I us ed them on my truck

1977 KZ1000A1
Attachments:

More
22 Nov 2008 05:22 #248775 by Zedone
They might have to be shortened, I us ed them on my truck

1977 KZ1000A1
Attachments:

More
02 Dec 2008 07:20 #250349 by greesemonkee
Replied by greesemonkee on topic homemade intake manifolds
I'm brand new so, please, excuse me if I do/ say something stupid. That being said...

I admire the hard work you've put into your project. If you have some to sell let me know. I don't, however, want to put carbs on them. You could save some effort and leave them long because I want to weld in injector bungs and connect them all to a common plenum.

Again, Great Job!

[Hope this reply works]

-GreeseMonkee
'77 KZ1000
'04 ZX636
'09 ZX14

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
02 Dec 2008 08:00 #250352 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic homemade intake manifolds
great stuff!!!
props to you on teaching the youngsters(and getting taught back i'm sure)
I have a nephew in special education and he calls my 900 the beast.I use working on the bike,riding with me,and teaching him to drive a car a little as a motivation for him to push through his hard uphill walk in life.He is seventeen and can name any muscle car he sees and give you some specs on it, but can barely read(i can barley write lol) and no one in his life is pushing him about part time job ,citty college,and maybe a driving test..when he weekends with me i show him how a doller is earned and spent and the rewards of hard work..tool boxes..motorcycles..somthing he can strive towards..Now he wants a little enduro to go around to city college,work etc..make me all choked up to see the lights come on in his eyes..
in one summer he has come so far in his goal raising..you are the ones (teachers) that should get a million bucks..not some guy shooting a basketball free throw...peace and keep up the good work craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
02 Dec 2008 13:00 #250405 by Skinthead
Replied by Skinthead on topic homemade intake manifolds
As far as he casting part of it he is doing it really isn't htat complicated to do. I have a furnace I put together in a 5 gallon stteel pail for jus that purpose. lots of info out there on making the furnace, a cheap as hell crucible, and sand casting.

If you make your model in wood with the correct internal cone shape you will have one closer to finished when you pull it. You already have the basic shape, now bore the cone internal shape in the wood model and make 3 more of them.... Should be less than a quart of aluminum for the total job, plus sprues....so about 1.5 quarts, or about 8lbs of aluminum....

Looks good dude! I am gonna be doing the same thing to install some GSXR TB's on my 650/4, and my CSR1000.

Doc

81 CSR 1000, 81 KZ650, 83 GPz550