I'm new and I have a few questions

More
09 Jul 2008 12:30 #225181 by Hagphish
I'm new and I have a few questions was created by Hagphish
Hello all. My name is Matt, and I just aquired a 1984 (I think) KZ550 from my brother. He owns a 77' 1000. I also have a 1999 XLS sportster.

I have a few questions for you guys so here it goes:

1) what kind of mileage should I expect from a full tank. I have been getting about 100 before switching to reserve. Is this normal?

2) do these bikes have rev limiters? It seems like it only goes about 75 - 80 mph downhill in 6th at about 7000rpms. The tacho seems to jump around alot.

3) I just adjusted the slides on the carbs by sight because it was hesitating ALOT. I have heard that the jets are adjustable? Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

\'81 KZ550
\'99 XLS

Whatever puts wind in your face

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
09 Jul 2008 12:56 #225188 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic I'm new and I have a few questions
I don't know a whole lot about that particular bike but I can tell you with a fair bit of certainty that something is wrong. That bike should be able to go faster then 80. in full tune I'm guessing 110 isn't out of the question. I did some calculations based on information on this site and assuming that your rear tires total outside diameter is 24 inches (18" wheel plus 3" sidewalls??) and at 8000 RPM you should be going 91. that doesn't take into account slippage or anything.

What did you mean by adjusting the slides by sight?? do you mean synchronizing?? By syncing I mean adjusting the carbs so that they have the same amount of vacuum in between the engine and the carbs. if thats what your talking about then doing it by sight won't get you close enough to run right.

Might be time to find a manual and start going through carb adjustments. Oh and you can replace the main jets for smaller or bigger sizes, but you can't adjust them.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

More
09 Jul 2008 13:01 #225190 by Saki Jockey
Replied by Saki Jockey on topic I'm new and I have a few questions
We'll need to know exactly what model kz550 you have. You can get this off of the ownership or the spec plate on the neck of the bike.

It most likely is an LTD or Spectre; in either case 100+mph is not out of the question unless you are carrying excessive weight (400 Lbs +) in operator and passenger. 50 mpg in moderate riding should be easily achievable.

www.metrovationinc.com/christemple/KZ550.pdf

follow the post to a free service manual, thank Corey Clough for it the next time you see him.

You should have no difficulty reaching 9000 rpm either, perhaps not in 6th, but in each of the other gears.

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

More
09 Jul 2008 13:07 #225192 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic I'm new and I have a few questions
Hi Matt, welcome to the asylum:woohoo:
There's a manual here in the archives, you can d/l it.
I have a 1980 Z500 which ol ma kawa sez does 111.8mph.
Yours should be faster I'd think.
Rev limiter, never heard of it, but then anythings possible I suppose:)
You should expect 60+/gallon, so get the manual and tune the beast, you've hit a goldmine here my friend,what these guys don't know isn't worth knowing:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
All The Best from England:silly:

1980 KZ500 B2

More
09 Jul 2008 13:10 #225194 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic I'm new and I have a few questions

do these bikes have rev limiters? It seems like it only goes about 75 - 80 mph downhill in 6th at about 7000rpms.

Make sure your timing advancer is not frozen (rusted).

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
09 Jul 2008 13:17 #225198 by Hagphish
Replied by Hagphish on topic I'm new and I have a few questions
Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. I didn't have a manual, but now I do Thanks a shi+ load!

I don't have the money right now to make or buy a manometer, but I think that's what I'm going to have to do eventualy. I have only cleaned the carbs and changed the oil as far as maintenence goes.

The bike is basically a loaner from my brother until I get the heads back on my sporty. But, I am starting to fall in love with it already. And, he wants to sell it, so I will probably buy it from him. I really like the old Kawi's and this one runs! So, I might as well quit looking for another one.

I believe that the carbs are way out of sync, and that is why the performance is lacking. but I will sit-down and bond with the manual so I can get learned...thanks again.

\'81 KZ550
\'99 XLS

More
09 Jul 2008 13:18 - 09 Jul 2008 13:22 #225199 by Saki Jockey

18" wheel plus 3" sidewalls?

ltd & zephyr have 16" rear wheel. I'd love to see the formula you used for the math!

The most likely issue is valve adjustment. Everything else on this bike is so easy, why did Kawa have to put in shims under buckets? Not only that, but you sacrifice a $25 gasket every time you open up the top end. This is why (IMHO) valves get so ignored in the KZ GPz bikes.

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada
Last edit: 09 Jul 2008 13:22 by Saki Jockey.

More
09 Jul 2008 13:24 #225200 by Hagphish
After looking at the plate on the neck the bike was made in 12/80 which would make it an '81 KZ550, right?

\'81 KZ550
\'99 XLS

More
09 Jul 2008 13:26 #225202 by Saki Jockey

he wants to sell it

See if your brother will go for this; give him the sportster after you've fixed the heads, 2 cases of floor dry (a weeks worth) and $1500 for the 550. Sounds fair to me...

Welcome to the forum.

Nobody else roasted you for the Harley content, I couldn't resist.

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

More
09 Jul 2008 13:28 #225203 by Saki Jockey
Should be...

Whats the diameter of the rear tire? Is it shaft or chain drive?

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

More
09 Jul 2008 13:36 #225205 by Hagphish
It a chain drive. And the more I learn about these bikes the more I like it. He is also a bike fan of them. He has a 440 and a 1000.

But, I will never sell the sporty. It is a very fast Harley, but I get tired of scraping stuff everytime I turn.

\'81 KZ550
\'99 XLS

Attachments:

More
09 Jul 2008 13:37 #225206 by Hagphish
some more photos...

\'81 KZ550
\'99 XLS

Attachments: