Compression issues????

More
23 Jun 2008 06:52 #221656 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Compression issues????
This fella's inital post stated, quote: I didn't check the valve clearances due to it being 4:30am and I was ready to beat it with a hammer, so I just walked away. unquote

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2008 16:00 - 23 Jun 2008 16:02 #221742 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Compression issues????
wiredgeorge wrote:

This fella's inital post stated, quote: I didn't check the valve clearances due to it being 4:30am and I was ready to beat it with a hammer, so I just walked away. unquote

But a lot farther down the thread he wrote:

Born Dead wrote:

Did a compression test and realized the low readings. So I tore it down again checked everything

I would have checked the clearances after putting the cams back in.... maybe not?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 23 Jun 2008 16:02 by bountyhunter.

More
02 Jul 2008 06:32 #223473 by Born Dead
Replied by Born Dead on topic Compression issues????
Hey All,

I've been away for the last week or so, on vacation. But here is the update on the progress. Thanks to all the input from everyone. The problem was the valves being carboned up. 3 out of 4 were leaking and #4 was the worst as for the low compression. After a complete valve job and top end rebuild, I thought I was in the clear. But, after it was all back together it wouldn't start.:angry: So I left it for a day and went back to it. It seemed to be a timing issue, after looking at the cams and the service manual I realized the cam's were in backwards due to a misprint in the manual....Thanks Clymer!!! So the bike is running good sounds awsome and just finished up the paint. So all in all it was a crazy rebuild with the end result being a cool old bike.
Thanks again everyone for the input.

Born Dead