Does Header Paint degrade performance?

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Drive it like your tax dollars already paid for it
More
17 Jun 2008 17:38 #220576 by BeeSting
Does Header Paint degrade performance? was created by BeeSting
Would a flat black high-temp coating on the headers degrade the performance at all?

What's the best way to prep chrome headers for a paint application that will last?

Thanks

BeeSting

Flint, Michigan - Chicagoland, IL

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Kawasaki KZ750 H1 LTD (4)
Kurayami (Girl of Darkness)暗闇の女

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2008 17:57 #220584 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Does Header Paint degrade performance?
i wouldnt think so. if anything it would be better to hold in the heat in my opinion.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

More
17 Jun 2008 18:03 #220585 by s_lorg
Replied by s_lorg on topic Does Header Paint degrade performance?
I agree, I dont think it would harm performace at all. the only thing i have ever read on this issue is that ferdinan Porche didnt paint the exhaust headers on the origional VW aircooled motors due to the fact that he felt that the paint held in some degree of heat. But only by fractions of a degree. On the other hand I have seen headers wraped with heat protectant fabric with no ill efects

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jun 2008 18:08 #220588 by BeeSting
Replied by BeeSting on topic Does Header Paint degrade performance?
Would it be safe to say that it could have positive effects then if its moving hot exhaust on through the pipes as oppose to uncoated headers (negatively) helping to heat up the cylinders? I know thats the concept in a car, but I dont think I baked the coating on properly on my 454 because the first thing the engine did was cook off all the exhaust coating.

BeeSting

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

More
17 Jun 2008 18:27 #220593 by s_lorg
Replied by s_lorg on topic Does Header Paint degrade performance?
i would be amazed if you could see a difrence even on a dyno. as far as preping the surface for paint, I would try and take all the crome off i could. another idea would be the old Black Crome idea. they use to do it in the 70's alot on choppers. you can still get it done today. it might fit ya alot better

More
17 Jun 2008 18:53 #220599 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic Does Header Paint degrade performance?
Before getting ready to post, I entered "painting chrome" in the forum search. Found some discussion there that might interest you. I'm sure you need to rough up the surface, or etch it, somehow to prep it. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.:)

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

More
17 Jun 2008 20:00 #220615 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Does Header Paint degrade performance?
there is a reason why chevy paints their high performance crate engines black ,it disipates heat better ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
17 Jun 2008 20:09 #220619 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Does Header Paint degrade performance?
You will need to etch in some way before painting. I have sanded small chrome pieces and the paint stuck. I have also sandblasted bigger pieces and the paint stuck there also. It needs to be roughed up in some form to give the paint something to grab on to otherwise, it won't get a good hold and will want to peel off. Years ago, Honda painted the whole engine and exhaust flat black because the texture of the paint finish left more surface area so it ran cooler. Chrome will hold heat in and is not a good finish to use on a motor...it just looks cool in my opinion. Trade off! It won't hurt performance at all. I would even spray some paint down the inside of the pipes even...especially on new chrome pipes. It will help keep the pipes from blueing. Don't be stingy with the paint you spray on the inside either. I used to spray the header pipes flat black heat paint and keep the megaphone chrome. Nice look on the right bike. I wouldn't worry about painting the header might cause any kind of performance worries....good or bad. Only problem with paint is that over time it usually turns a grayish tint of black and will need repainting every so often, but that's a minor problem if you ask me.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
19 Jun 2008 05:30 #220860 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Does Header Paint degrade performance?
It's better to have the heat in the pipe in most situations. There are even header wrap products designed to do that very thing. Keep in mind the heat from exhuast headers under the hood of a car is detrimental. Bike exhausts are out there in the air stream.

Exhaust velocity increases with temperature. Getting exhaust out of the engine is a good thing.......

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jun 2008 08:36 #221668 by BeeSting
Replied by BeeSting on topic Does Header Paint degrade performance?
What kind of heat is generated? Should I be looking at a 1200 degree coating or a 2000 degree?

BeeSting

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

More
23 Jun 2008 11:49 #221695 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Does Header Paint degrade performance?
The flat black paint will have more air friction, vs a shiney surface, which will cause you to lose .00025 mph at top end. I use hi heat paint I got at the auto parts store and it works just great. Get some rust remover, the liquid kind, it also comes in a spray can. Apply it after wire brushing any rust then wash off. Dry, then paint. The paint will be fairly fragile until the pipes get hot and set it......chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
23 Jun 2008 18:26 #221757 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Does Header Paint degrade performance?

It looks good, but I don't know yet how it'll hold up. I'll let you know once I get it back on the road...

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"