Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1980 kz 750 ltd starter problems 08 Feb 2006 12:16 #22503

• rspector
  • rspector's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
first off in all my years of motorcycle repair, (I have owned what feels like about a million bones from the 69 cb750 to the 84 gs1150)the people on this page have been the most helpful out of any other pages i have been on. I would like to thank everyone involved on giving me directions. I will def post some photots and do a little write up on the steps i took to get it apart. If you want to flip your bike over the more people the better, my friend and I were thinking "How hard could it be", well we found out, and after breaking a crash bar getting the damn thing up I can say
4 people would have made it alot easier. Beyond that I expect to have about 3 hours into this project,which after calling the local dealer just to get an idea he said it paid about 8 hrs to do, and that it was impossible to get it out threw the sump. So hopefully i will prove him wrong
thanks again guys
Rob Spector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 kz 750 ltd starter problems 08 Feb 2006 13:28 #22526

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Only glad to help, you´re welcome.

Btw, there´s a spacer next to the the starter clutch, can´t remember exactly where (case in point), take note of where it sits when you pull the shaft out. Also there´s a needle roller bearing inside the starter clutch sprocket that you don´t want to drop on a dirty floor.

The starter clutch gear (big one) is in mesh with an idler gear that connects it to the starter motor - when you reinstall the starter clutch and sec. shaft make sure these gears are in mesh before you seat the shaft.

Btw, here´s how that engine in the pic above looks today - only the empty shell, waiting for new rings and a hone:

Post edited by: onkelb, at: 2006/02/08 16:45
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:

1980 kz 750 ltd starter problems 08 Feb 2006 13:38 #22527

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
My pleasure to help. What goes around...
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

• Page: