Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Broken Cam Cover Bolt... =( 09 Feb 2006 18:39 #22822

• Maverick
  • Maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
So the 'easy-out' was a total misnomer... It wasn't easy at all. I think because the bolt was hardened steel. The bit simply would not bite into the bolt. So it's off to the machine shop. It was worth a shot! Thanks for the tips everybody!

Cheers,

Maverick
1981 KZ1000M1
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Broken Cam Cover Bolt... =( 10 Feb 2006 06:02 #22896

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The cam cap bolts are hardened but they can be drilled if you use a nitride coated drill bit... I think that is what the gold colored ones are called. First drill a pilot hole after center punching then use a larger bit. I would suggest using a largish EZ-OUT as it won't break as easily. An EZ-OUT has the size drill bit recommended on its packaging and the hole is a bit larger and needs to be deeper than you think but the EZ-OUT WILL bite in your cam cap bolt. Problem is it will probably also break before it breaks the broken bit loose (what a tongue twister).
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Broken Cam Cover Bolt... =( 10 Feb 2006 07:49 #22921

• oldcuda68
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I just used an e-z out to remove 3 of 4 bolts that hold sprocket cover on this past week. I didn't know they were broken until I went to fit the cover (someone elses problems). I drilled all the way thru the broken bolts and soaked them with PB Blaster for a few hours. The e-z out did its job much to my surprise!! They don't always work, but I agree with the others that say don't over turn them because they are brittle.
Mark
1980 KZ750 LTD
1984 Honda GL1200 Interstate
Too many other toys to mention

• Page: