Oil & Filter change. Now acting funny

More
07 Apr 2008 08:11 #204759 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic Oil & Filter change. Now acting funny
So here's a question for you.. whats the best way to use Sea Foam to clean valves or free sticky rings?

Should I idle and spray it through my carbs, or put some into the plug holes and let it sit? I haven't run my engine since November, and there's a nice bit of gunk in there right now, so need to clean it out.

If I do put it in the cylinders through the plugs, can I start it with the fluid in there, or should I cycle it around and let it fly out of the cylinders before putting the plugs back in and starting it?

I will put some in my gas and oil, too.

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2008 09:22 #204771 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Oil & Filter change. Now acting funny
pyxen wrote:

So here's a question for you.. whats the best way to use Sea Foam to clean valves or free sticky rings?

Should I idle and spray it through my carbs, or put some into the plug holes and let it sit? I haven't run my engine since November, and there's a nice bit of gunk in there right now, so need to clean it out.

If I do put it in the cylinders through the plugs, can I start it with the fluid in there, or should I cycle it around and let it fly out of the cylinders before putting the plugs back in and starting it?

I will put some in my gas and oil, too.

I recall it's printed on the can:

Warm the engine then use the intake vacuum line to suck the stuff into the cylinder by just cranking over, then let it sit a while with the sea foam in the cylinder area. Then start it and blow it out.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
07 Apr 2008 09:25 #204774 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Oil & Filter change. Now acting funny
MCH650SR wrote:

jaguar wrote:

I hate to burst your 'bubbles'.B) But your detergent theory is probably flawed. In the motorcycle manuals they recommend detergent oils.
I have used Rotella T (diesel oil with detergents) and have had zero problems.

For as long as I have twisted wrenches (about 40 years) there has been a persistent myth that if you put detergent oil into an old engine, it will "loosen crud" and destroy the engine by plugging things up. I have never heard of a single case of this happening, but every burger king reject who pumped gas back int e 60's would swear it would happen. I don't think it can.

I've seen the insides of engines caked with crud, and the tiny effect of the detergent in oil isn't going to do anything to that. Just my opinion.

1979 KZ-750 Twin