Need help - Won't Start

More
30 Mar 2008 14:52 #203122 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Need help - Won't Start
Take cover off, connect aligater clip from a test light to the housing where the cover bolts on, turn on igition, place tip of test light against the side of the point contact and apply light pressure, ( it doesnt matter which set of points) on either set of points the contact you touch and press the tip against is going to be the inside contact. turn the motor over by bumping the kickstart with your left hand. In your right hand is a flashlight that you are shining on the plate so you can see the f mark coming. When it get half inch away from the mark cast into the housing slowwwww dowwn. Bump gently and slightly and the instant the points break the light will come on. This tells you EXACTLY when the plug fires. you will see both sets of cylinder's timing and can compare and adjust. this is a very simple and accurate method and I suggest you use it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2008 21:53 #203429 by sean5775
Replied by sean5775 on topic Need help - Won't Start
Thanks for all the help everyone. Timing was way out of whack for some odd reason. Set the timing as described, It fired right up and ran great. Then fine tuned the timing with my timing light, played around with pilot air screws and synchronized carbs and it runs better than it ever has since I bought it.

Thanks everyone.

1972 Kawasaki H2-750 Triple Mach IV
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 A4
1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
1981 Kawasaki KZ750LTD-4
1983 Suzuki GS650 Tempter
1981 Yamaha Virago XV920

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.