Confused

More
31 Jan 2008 10:30 #192003 by CptEDIV
Confused was created by CptEDIV
Alright.. So thanks to the forum I got my points and condensers put it, and it was surprisingly easy. Gapped 'em and it rode ok... I borrowed a timing light, I got cylinders 1 and 4 straight, but in the clymer manual I have its a little confusing about timing 2 and 3. What mark do I look for..?
+The bike feels like it doesn't have the power it should, or used to have. Also it will rev up then take 3-4 seconds to come back down after I've let off the throttle.
+I also had the 1rst carb letting gas out of the overflow. I tapped on it with a rubber mallet for a minute and begged that it stop and it hasn't done it since.
+How far out should I turn the (air screws?(Flathead small screws, one in each carb)) mixture screws? I think I have them at 1 and 1/4.

Any advice is muuch appreciated, and thanks for the link to the points and condensers info guys.
-Ed

1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2008 11:13 #192013 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Confused
The 1/4 mark on the advancer unit is seen with timing light hooked onto #4 plug wire. Similarly, the 2/3 mark on the advancer unit is seen with timing light hooked onto #3 plug wire.

Remember to clean and gap points before setting timing. :)

Regarding power -- are all 4 cylinders firing? With engine idling, spray water mist (using common household spray bottle) over the exhaust headers. Water spray will immediately sizzle and vaporize on header from a firing cylinder. Water spray will form droplets and roll off a "cool" header pipe from the non-firing cylinder.

Often the lack of power is NOT a carb problem. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
31 Jan 2008 11:17 #192014 by CptEDIV
Replied by CptEDIV on topic Confused
It doesn't explain which mark to look for in the book. I know on 1 and 4 its an F. What about the 2 and 3..? I see a 2 and 3 on it, is that it?
Thanks pat.
What could be keepin my idle up?
Also, after puttin the new clutch cable on I only have clutch near the end when releasing, when before I had it more throughout the whole release... But it feels good other than that.
Thanks,
Ed

More
31 Jan 2008 11:56 #192020 by CptEDIV
Alright, you were right. I usually just pull out the plug and look for spark to see if a cylinders firing, so I assumed all were firing. All have compression, and spark, so I assumed it had all four firing. I sprayed each exhaust, and 1, 3, and 4 are firing, 2 isn't. Where do I go from here? It can't be timing because if 2 was off time causin' it not to fire, 3 would be to, right? So it has to be air or gas restriction to the second carb?
Lemme know what you all think, and thanks for the help.
-Ed

More
31 Jan 2008 12:11 #192021 by CptEDIV
Alright, lookin at it again, theres gas coming back through the second into the air intake. What does this mean? I dont know what I could be doin wrong. The second also has the accelerator pump. Im stumped...

More
31 Jan 2008 13:55 #192039 by Patton
Would first remove and toss #2 spark plug, as it's likely fuel-fouled beyond recovery.

Allow #2 cylinder to air out. Can blow out with compressed air into the cylinder through the spark plug hole or spray some starter fluid into the cylinder and let it evaporate. The idea being to clear the cylinder combustion chamber of all fuel before further testing.

Then put a brand new spark plug in #2 cylinder.

Get ready to crank cold engine in usual manner, with choke fully on (lever pulled completely up).
DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE. Just push the starter button. When running, reduce the choke as soon as possible, working with the throttle keeping rpm up to prevent engine from stalling. This helps avoid the cylinders from loading up with excess fuel and fouling the plugs during warm-up time.

The results of this effort will guide further diagnosis.

Regarding clutch action -- has the clutch push-rod been adjusted (This is different from a cable slack adjustment). The cluch push-rod adjustment is usually done through an access port under a cover plate on the sprocket cover.

Btw, what type of petcock is being used, manual (on-off-res) or vacuum (on-pri-res)?

Keep the faith! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
31 Jan 2008 15:59 #192065 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Confused
CptEDIV wrote:

Alright, lookin at it again, theres gas coming back through the second into the air intake. What does this mean? I dont know what I could be doin wrong. The second also has the accelerator pump. Im stumped...

It usually means the float and valve are not cutting off the fuel. Is that float working freely?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
31 Jan 2008 16:20 #192071 by CptEDIV
Haven't adjusted the pushrod. The vacuum petcock leaks so I put a second one (on off) after the first, I couldn't find a rebuild kit for the original. So I leave it on RES then turn the second petcock on or off. I'll put the new plug in and start it again tomorrow. It is fouled but has a bright fat blue spark... I may go get a plug and try it tonight, I'm ready to ride :P.
Thanks,
Ed

More
31 Jan 2008 17:39 #192094 by Patton
CptEDIV wrote:

...I'll put the new plug in and start it again tomorrow. It is fouled but has a bright fat blue spark... I may go get a plug and try it tonight....

With NGKB8ES my experience on several occassions has been that a relatively new fuel fouled NGK spark plug visibly perfect still fails after removing, drying and replacing. Tossed it and installed a brand-new NGK plug which performed flawlessly.

Seems that once an NGK plug fails, there's no bringing it back to life (regardless of cleaning it per FSM recommendation), at least for me.

Aside from that single oddity, I have always used and been well-pleased with the NGK's. :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2008/01/31 20:41

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
31 Jan 2008 18:54 #192115 by CptEDIV
If I lay the plug on the engine and turn the bike on, I get a good spark even though the plugs fouled. Would it not get a good spark once in the engine and cause it not to fire, even if I'm gettin' one outside of it? I got the plug and am going to try it now, but I'm just curious...
Thanks,
Ed
*I'm using B7ES NGK plugs.*

Post edited by: CptEDIV, at: 2008/01/31 22:00

More
31 Jan 2008 19:00 #192116 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Confused
It may show a spark outside unencumbered, but once inside the pressure of compression can literally blow it out.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
31 Jan 2008 19:38 #192126 by CptEDIV
Put the new plug in with full choke. Started it and then killed the choke and it idled at 1.5 RPM. Its still not firing on the second cylinder. Would this indicate a carb problem? I posted another thread about going ahead and re jetting and putting on pods anyway...
Thanks,
Ed
I opened the drain plugs and with the gas there was a little brownish color coming out. Would this be an indication of crap getting in the carbs and possibly blocking up a jet?

Post edited by: CptEDIV, at: 2008/02/01 09:53