'77 valve springs question

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
28 Jan 2008 18:34 #191533 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic '77 valve springs question
the spring is a price of metal, it does not care which way it is facing it will always react the same.

Some of the coils will require more pressure to compress, and then they will put more force on the valve to retract back into its seat....but the spring does not care which way the coils are oriented, it will react the same to pressure regardless.

I would still install the more tightly wound side of the spring towards the head, if for no other reason other than uniformity.

Post edited by: hardr0ck68, at: 2008/01/28 21:36

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2008 08:21 #191616 by kzmason
Replied by kzmason on topic '77 valve springs question
I am loving the theoretical conversation going on here. I physics does say that it shouldn't matter as the force on one side is equal to the force on the other. However, I would like to get them all in there uniformly.

BUT, MY QUESTION ;) was whether or not the stock springs on a '77 kz 1000b1 actually HAS variable rate springs. I would rather not take it back apart to find out if some here already knows whether it does or not. Thanks again and I am not actually trying to come off snotty above. I just know how folks get easily swept up into the theoretical and away from the topic:) It is one of the best parts of technical forums.

Post edited by: kzmason, at: 2008/01/29 11:31

More
29 Jan 2008 08:37 #191620 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic '77 valve springs question
kzmason wrote:

...whether or not the stock springs on a '77 kz 1000b1 actually HAS variable rate springs....

Pictures in FSM show constant rate valve springs (both the inside and outside valve spings). :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Jan 2008 09:12 #191626 by kzmason
Replied by kzmason on topic '77 valve springs question
yep:) I ended up not going to work today and decided to quit being so lazy and just take one apart. the springs are constant rate. Infact, I believe this is why there is an inner and outer spring. The outer in longer and heavier gauge spring that the inner shorter and smaller gauge spring. This would give you a variable spring rate via dual springs. It makes sense in MY head, at least:laugh:

More
29 Jan 2008 09:27 #191630 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic '77 valve springs question
Per FSM:

An inner spring is used with each outer spring to prevent spring surge, which may cause valve float at high rpm.

But drat! The dreaded "spring surge" is not further explained. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD