Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

stainless fasteners? 20 Jan 2006 21:25 #19015

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
If corrosion resistance is what you are after, then go with the stainless. I asked because some people want to use it because they thing it is stronger than steel. It is not. Stainjless is not as strong as grade 12.9 metric steel.

Jay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

stainless fasteners? 21 Jan 2006 06:15 #19028

• wireman
  • Visitor
they make differant grades of stainless steel ,just like anything else in most cases its not a problem.in certain cases a softer bolt is better than a harder bolt because its not as brittle and will stretch instead of snapping off like a grade 8 type bolt.weve done electrical/plumbing work around a lot of food production and medical type places and they use stainless steel for anything that comes in contact with products because it wont rust and is easy to keep clean.goodluck,happy wrenching!B)

stainless fasteners? 22 Jan 2006 09:18 #19245

• dkmk
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
To follow up on wireman's comments, any high tensile bolt should not be used if the part/piece is subject to any kind of shearing or torque loads, or if any elasticity is required. Carbon steel is the better choice, at the expense of rusting and corrosion. Depending on the application, just use some kind of rust-inhibitor or anti-seize compound, and adjust your torque values accordingly.
Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

stainless fasteners? 22 Jan 2006 22:00 #19415

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey George I got a set from the ebay lady and a set from another guy on there that will put together a set for you. The look great.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

stainless fasteners? 23 Jan 2006 05:08 #19433

• wiredgeorge
  • wiredgeorge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I know where to get sets of stainless engine socket head engine bolts. Jeff at www.z1enterprises.com sells them for a great price but I will probably just order them myself. I have almost all the bolt lengths now. Only ones I still need are from the front of the bike (fork/triple trees) as I have measured the rest already and will just put an order in with my fastener supplier. I suspect it will be less expensive than buying kits. FWIW: I will have a list of fasteners needed for an ST if anyone ever wanted such a list.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: