Broken clutch cover screws

More
22 Jan 2006 11:39 #19268 by kevco
Replied by kevco on topic Broken clutch cover screws
Wow that is an interesting tidbit. (Un?)fortunately I won't get to try it. I bought a small tungsten carbide cutting bit for my dremmel tool. I don't know if it would've cut through the extractor or not but it did manage to snag on the edge of it and pop it out of the screw so I was able to drill it out normally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2006 11:53 #19270 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Broken clutch cover screws
Sometimes you get lucky :laugh:

KD9JUR

More
22 Jan 2006 19:23 #19375 by kevco
Replied by kevco on topic Broken clutch cover screws
I appreciate all the tips so far. I have a new question for you now. ;)

When drilling out the screws, I started with a very small bit and then kept working my way up. I stopped when almost all of the screw was gone but I hadn't hit the threads yet. There was so little of the screw left I figured I might be able to sort of push it out with a tap and not need a helicoil.

I was pretty successful with this plan but the threads in the hole now seem to be a little loose when I screw the new bolt in (without the cover on, just testing the fit). Not real loose but enough to make me wonder if it will be okay? It's loosest at the beginning and gets better further into the hole. I'm worried the bolts might be more inclined to work loose now.

More
22 Jan 2006 23:05 #19421 by Wolfman@SparksAmerica
Replied by Wolfman@SparksAmerica on topic Broken clutch cover screws
Just one more tip to add to the list, Heat the broken bolt and then take a candle and melt it on the area. The Wax works it's way down the threads thus helping to break the bond and giving much needed lubrication to the threads to aid in removal. Will have to remember the Alum trick, I hadn't heard that one before.