Generic bike question/not a trader!!! lol

More
14 Nov 2007 20:44 #181128 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic Generic bike question/not a trader!!! lol
Sweet Back wrote:

So I found something about the coils on the bike. They apparently are not made for 4 cylinder bikes.... Anyone?

Sweet Back
I don't think you need to worry about that point specifically. As far as I know, no coil is made for 4-cylinder engines. All coils with dual outputs fire two plugs at once. The coils don't know how many cylinders there are on a motor. Dual output coils do not fire the plugs attached to that coil at different times.
Does that make sense?
What I would ask these guys who know their stuff on the site is how to check the rated energy or voltage output. Somebody must know a better way to check firepower other than to look and see what color the spark is. A yellow spark beats no spark. A blue spark is generally better because it is hotter.

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/11/14 23:45

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2007 16:11 #181237 by JR
Cute coils you got there !!!!
I guess the previous owner bought them for the chrome and cool chopper factor rather than their ability to work :laugh::laugh:

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
20 Nov 2007 10:15 #181868 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic Generic bike question/not a trader!!! lol
Sweet Back wrote:

True to form, you guys are champs. I'm looking at pickin up some coils and will be going through all connections in the next few days. Will update. Thanks!

Well,,, Sweet Back,,,
No reply to your questions, I see. So try this and tell us your results.
Remove all the plugs, which simply makes it easier to spin the motor. Next, connect your plug wires, one at a time to a test plug. Hold the test plug securely against the fins and watch the spark produced when the engine is turned; whether from the starter or kicking makes no difference. If the fire is inconsistent or weak, then this is the first thing to check.
Just because the coils look like they are intended for show, does not make them a bad choice. Good fire 'at the appropriate time' is a requirement, the coils used to deliver it makes no difference.