Polished Stainless Bolts - Yea or Nea?

More
22 Oct 2007 05:19 #177517 by Little B
Polished Stainless Bolts - Yea or Nea? was created by Little B
I saw these Polished Stainless Bolts on Ebay tinyurl.com/244gk3 and was thinking about changing mine over. Is it worth it or do you recommended I just leave the original bolts on?

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2007 06:10 #177527 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Polished Stainless Bolts - Yea or Nea?
I highly recommend it.

Z1E has them too.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1206

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
22 Oct 2007 07:06 #177538 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Polished Stainless Bolts - Yea or Nea?
I tried to keep my bike as stock as possible so I avoided upgrading the bolts. I was taking those Philips head bolts off so often and in such hard to get to places that I decided to try the Hex set. Once I installed them and had to take them on and off a few times there was no turning back. They are stronger, easier and faster to work with. It now takes me less time to swap out my carbs. It was a good expense in my opinion. I've certainly spent more and got less in return with other purchases.

Caution: My bolt set did not include those 8 bolts that hold the Carburetor assembly to the engine block. These were some of the hardest ones for me to work with and of course among the most important for me. Looking at the list in your link I don't see these 8 bolts listed either. I had to order a set separately form Z1, but at less that $4 USD I found it affordable. Here's a link to the Z1 8 bolt carb holder set:

www.z1enterprises.com/SearchResult.aspx?...arb%20Holder%20Bolts

If it fits your budget, I'd say go for it. Best of success!

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/10/22 10:12

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/10/22 10:20

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/10/22 11:45

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
22 Oct 2007 08:10 #177553 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Polished Stainless Bolts - Yea or Nea?
Anyone have any engine pics with them installed? I'm getting them this winter for mine since a lot of the Philips head ones on mine are either stripped or missing. I'm getting them regardless but would like to see a pic to get an idea.

Thanks.

More
22 Oct 2007 08:38 #177567 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Polished Stainless Bolts - Yea or Nea?
Here's some information from wiredgeorge :)

wiredgeorge wrote:

The original case cover bolts were definitely not phillips head which is an SAE style. They were JIS standard... the slots are cut different and that is why you see so many stripped; because folks use a #2 phillips head screwdriver on them. I buy JIS screwdrivers from a place called Ames Supply. The 6mm bracket mount screws are #1 JIS and this type screwdriver is nearly impossible to buy but a #1 Phillips won't hurt if using an impact driver. The other screws on carburetors are all #2 JIS except some of the 3mm located on throttle butterflies, choke butterflies and the little screws that hold the slides on the slide actuator and those are all #1 JIS. I would love to find a set of JIS impact driver bits to use case screws when doing a restoration. JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standard and you also get the JIS screws in copying machines and electronics stuff but the screws are usually smaller than on carburetors and they have size zero 0 JIS and 00 JIS and 000 JIS screwdrivers but I don't have any of these.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Oct 2007 09:57 #177587 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Polished Stainless Bolts - Yea or Nea?
Thanks for the feedback guys! Looks like I have yet another upgrade on the list! LOL

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
22 Oct 2007 13:02 #177624 by JR
They look like hex heads/Allen bolts in the link you posted Little B.
I'd highly recommend changing to this type of bolt. I'm doing mine bit by bit - I get the bolts locally. They dont tarnish and I dont expect they will ever strip. Here's a photo or two.

Post edited by: JR, at: 2007/10/22 16:05

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

More
22 Oct 2007 13:06 #177625 by JR
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
I really should paint that engine

Attachments:

More
22 Oct 2007 15:09 #177642 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Polished Stainless Bolts - Yea or Nea?
Thx for the pics JR. Why do you recommend against the hex versions? And, what kind are yours...I cant quite tell from the pic what they are topped off with? Also, what kind of local store would have them?

Hows that for a few questions...? hahaha :lol:

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
22 Oct 2007 15:43 #177650 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Polished Stainless Bolts - Yea or Nea?
Thanks for the pics JR, really looks nice! Can't wait to get mine to replace some of my stripped stock ones.

More
22 Oct 2007 15:51 #177652 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Polished Stainless Bolts - Yea or Nea?
Go for it i change every bike i get my hands on to stainless allens.They dont rust and i have never had to use a drill bit or an impact driver to remove them.

More
22 Oct 2007 16:58 #177674 by JR
Little B wrote:

Thx for the pics JR. Why do you recommend against the hex versions? And, what kind are yours...I cant quite tell from the pic what they are topped off with? Also, what kind of local store would have them?

Hows that for a few questions...? hahaha :lol:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I highly recommend the the hex bolt also called Allen heads. Thats what I got. Mine are stainless steel all polished and shiny !

The local store is Brafasco which is a Canadian company with sites in southern Ontario. If you are like me and just want to do a few at a time then look for a fastener or bolt supply store.

I think the ebay sets and those at Z1 look like great value.