Clutch Cable Smoothness Question

More
09 Oct 2007 12:28 #175411 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Clutch Cable Smoothness Question
I use the baggie method to clean and lube cables.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2007 04:55 #175511 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Clutch Cable Smoothness Question
OKC_Kent wrote:

I use the baggie method to clean and lube cables.

That is pretty slick too. I can't tell from the pic how you keep the baggie in place. Do you use tape or something else?

Update after the ride yesterday:

Well, oiling the cable helped a lot but I still noticed the rough jumpiness that I mentioned before. After I got back I thought that perhaps the clutch bar was binding and decided to lube up the joint really well. This had no effect. Then I put my ear down by the clutch part of the engine and heard that the sound and roughness is definitely coming from inside there. I also notice that when I shift gears up or down, it lets off a loud 'thunk' each time. It feels like a clunk to my body while riding as well.

I'm guessing that that points to what you guys already mentioned about lubing up the release mechanism. If not, let me know what else I might need to check while inside there.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
10 Oct 2007 09:59 #175557 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic Clutch Cable Smoothness Question
All of my bikes (mechanically identical to yours) make a noticeable "clunk" when shifting gears. I stopped worrying about it years ago.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
10 Oct 2007 13:36 #175565 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Clutch Cable Smoothness Question
Cut the corner off a baggie, (very small cut) and shove the bag over the cable using some black tape around the cable end. Flush it with solvent to clean it, then light oil. Double check the cable is not kinked, and the cable isn't frayed at the lugs. Replace the cable when they get like that.

Trannys will clunk less if the oil is fresh. I use Rotella 15w-40 and change it every 1500-2000 miles. By that mileage the tranny gears have really done their work on the oil.

Like Kazoocruiser said, clean up the clutch mechanism under the side cover and grease it up. Adjust the clutch. My tranny clunks more shifting from N to 1st. Then another clunk from 1st to 2nd. Smooth after that.

Good luck and have fun!

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles