Synthetic or Conventional oil?

More
02 Sep 2007 08:08 #167953 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Synthetic or Conventional oil?
Glad I didn't put the new oil in then. I better go return it. Thanks for that guys, I did not know.

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2007 19:23 #168104 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Synthetic or Conventional oil?
Mobil 1 blows. It's not a true class III oil anymore. Ok, maybe it doesn't blow, but they have pissed off a bunch of people changing their formula. Check out the "Bob is the oil guy forum," for more details. You will have to search there, but a lot of good information exist. That forum even has a section on motorcycle uoa's.

More
02 Sep 2007 19:56 #168115 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Synthetic or Conventional oil?
austin3119,
I looked at the "Bob is the oil guy" site but I cannot find anything that supports your assertion that "Mobil-1 blows." I did notice that Castrol is one of the site's sponsors, but that doesn't necessarily mean the site leans toward their sponsor's product. In fact, I did a search but couldn't find a single reference to the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 oil that I recommended. I can't say that I would recommend regular passenger car Mobil-1 for bikes, I've never tried it. However, the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 oil that is formulated specifically for multi-cylinder motorcycles has worked well for me in my KZ650C1. Please let me know if I missed a reference in “Bob’s” site that would lead one to the conclusion that Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 blows. I don’t work for Mobil, so if there is some legitimate reason why one shouldn’t use their recommended product I would like to know so I can stop using it. Thanks. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Sep 2007 13:31 #168745 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Synthetic or Conventional oil?
650ed wrote:

austin3119,
I looked at the "Bob is the oil guy" site but I cannot find anything that supports your assertion that "Mobil-1 blows."

From the other Kawa forum, this topic has been covered extensively. The consensus is that the syn oils with the "increased gas mileage" claims have an additive that screws up clutches, the ones that don't have that will work fine.

Mobil 1 does have a bad reputation and I don't use it,regarding the base of the viscosity enhancers they use. I have used every other synthetic in my KZ750.... which has run for 28 years now (75k miles) and never had an oil problem.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
05 Sep 2007 15:31 #168780 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Synthetic or Conventional oil?
bountyhunter,

Can you point me to a reference to problems with the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 oil? I am interested in learning if any problems have been associated with it. I am NOT asking about regular Mobil-1 oil that's made for cars, as I'm sure there are issues with its performance in wet clutches (that's one of the reasons, according to Mobil, they make the motorcycle oil.) I am only interested in the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 oil that's made specifically for multi-cylinder motorcycles. I ask because I've used it for the past 2 oil changes with no problems, but would like to know what problems others have experienced so I'll know what to look for. Thanks, Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Sep 2007 18:21 #168826 by 77_650B1
Replied by 77_650B1 on topic Synthetic or Conventional oil?
I use crap crap crap. Some "Formula 1" garbage from Canadian Tire, cheapest 10W40 i can find. Bike runs great.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels