clutch slipping

More
14 May 2006 20:59 #47304 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic clutch slipping
77_650B1 wrote:

My clutch plates (friction) are black, and they're the stockers. Would this constitute glaze?

Best thing to do there(other than replacing the plates AND the springs),is to remove the plates...spray them down with some brake-clean to remove all oil residue and check them for thickness and warpage.Compare the measurement You get,with what Your manual says they should be.The manual will list the service thickness,and if You're in that zone,then You can scuff them up with some very fine grit sandpaper or some scotch-brite pads...spray them down again with brake clean...soak them in some clean oil,and reinstall them.
I'm sure that after You've sprayed them down with brake clean,You'll see that they aren't as black as they first appeared.
If the plates are still within the service limit,maybe replacing the springs will help,but for what it's worth...You're probably better off replacing the plates as well,being as You're going through all the work already.
Are there a lot of miles on the bike?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2006 12:58 #47446 by 77_650B1
Replied by 77_650B1 on topic clutch slipping
She has 40,000km, and the friction plates are within tolerances.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
15 May 2006 16:16 #47510 by philcsand
Replied by philcsand on topic clutch slipping
Look for the how-2 on replacing your clutch I wrote up.

If you're going to open the bike up, you may as well change the friction plates while you are in there.

Don't cheap out, it really isn't worth it.

New springs while you're in there as well.

Also, what was said is right, clutches will slip first at high-revs / speed. That's where your engine is creating the highest torque vs. the highest drag.