#4 Smokin! not a good smokin either!

More
27 Aug 2007 09:43 #166624 by auggiedog
#4 Smokin! not a good smokin either! was created by auggiedog
I sure could use some experienced help or ideas here. I have just finished rebuilding my 900, rode it for a short while (about 6 hours total ,no speedo, just a tach). Motor got a Valve job with new seals, guides were fine. It has stock 70mm/1015 pistons in it from a while back. New rings and honing, rings were end gap checked (all ok). I did screw up one of the oil scraper ring sets when installing the pistons the first time, so I installed the best of the old ones I had on that piston, #1.Started it up last Sunday, rode 15 minutes and it started some serious smoking after it was warmed up. I'm talking big clouds here. So, it looks like #4 is the problem, plug is wet and oil fouled. Other plugs look perfect.

Took it all apart this weekend, I figured on a blown head gasket or valve seal, but when I got it apart, everything looked good. There was a substantial amount of oil in the cylinder, and there was a lot of gummy build up in the exhaust port for #4, so I dis-assembled that valve, cleaned it all out, lapped the valve and re-installed. Seal was in new condition, worked fine. Guide also nice and tight, no wobble. I did not check the intake valve, probably should have, but it looked really clean in the port.
As I was installing the head, I realized that the locating pin next to #4 was not installed the first time. Found it and installed it, with a new one piece head gasket, silicone in the center section, etc.. I expected that that must be the problem. Made sense...
I re-honed the cylinders just a bit, and put it all back together. Started on the first push of the starter button.
But, once it was warm, it still smokes, a lot. Essentaily, no change to the situation. Compression across 1-4 is 120/100/110/130 (#4 might be high/normal due to the oil, so I know that there is a bigger problem somewhere.
One thing that happened from the first assembly is that I went a few hours before re-torquing the head, which by then was pretty loose, say in the 10# range. I am torquing the head to 29#, as in the KZ1000 specs.
My plans are to do a leak-down test, then take it down again, and check the head for warp, pull out the intake valve and check that too.
Man, I am getting tired of buying gaskets!
Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks guys!
K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
27 Aug 2007 09:56 #166626 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic #4 Smokin! not a good smokin either!
Are you sure it was the #1, and not the #4 oil scrapper ring that you used and old one of?

That would be my suggestion for checking first, and would make perfect sense if the exhaust valve became that gummed up.
Of course you just might have warped the head near the #4 cylinder due to running it so long before re-torquing the head bolts, but not likely.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
27 Aug 2007 10:17 #166634 by auggiedog
Replied by auggiedog on topic #4 Smokin! not a good smokin either!
yeah, I specifically remember it being #1 cause i wanted to be sure i checked compression there..still, putting in the rings the first time was a little wanky.
k

More
27 Aug 2007 11:19 #166649 by auggiedog
BTW, there was smoke coming from both the exhaust (most of it) and from the breather...breather was very oily, and is a remote (just behind the Left side cover) K&N type that uses the low profile APE breather
And, though I will check again, valve clearances were all right on, since it has a new valve job, the valve stems were decked to the correct height, re-shimmed, etc.
I am also going to check for fuel intrusion in the oil..
(you can tell I've been reading the older posts...)
K

Post edited by: auggiedog, at: 2007/08/27 14:40

More
27 Aug 2007 15:06 #166694 by GPzephyr
Replied by GPzephyr on topic #4 Smokin! not a good smokin either!
No chance you might have broken a ring when putting it together at some point?
If you're careful you can reuse head gaskets. I haven't tried on a larger Z but on my 750 I could happily reuse head gaskets by cleaning them up good the giving them a coat of metallic paint just prior to fitting them. Only really works on MLS types.

1991, Zephyr 750. GPz750 turbo engine, 810cc, Garrett T25 turbo, GPz1100 throttle bodies, 310cc injectors, Power commander, Dyna coils, Lots more as well...

KB Saturn fitted with a stock GPz750 turbo engine. Loads to do on this project.

More
27 Aug 2007 19:39 #166770 by auggiedog
I don't think so, I just had it apart to try and find this problem, so i was able to take the rings off and check them over. I even noticed on Jeff's Z1 ent. website (where i got the rings) to be careful about overlapping the corrugated oil scraper, which was in there ok.
It seems like oil is getting in from the top, not sure why I think this.
The burning/smoke is heaviest under load...
you know though, the middle ring was clearly marked with the "N" for up, easy anyhow bc of the chamfer, but the top ring had no marking, and no matter how close i looked it seemed the same either way. I did my best guess to get a chamfer down on the top rings.
Might be able to re-use this new head gasket, thought I might givie it a try since I am getting so good at taking this #*%@ thing apart! :S

More
28 Aug 2007 10:29 #166889 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic #4 Smokin! not a good smokin either!
I had the same problem. Mine was a broken oil ring. could it be you missed fitting one of the valve stem seals or didn't snug it down?

More
28 Aug 2007 12:49 #166909 by GPzephyr
Replied by GPzephyr on topic #4 Smokin! not a good smokin either!
The fact that its smoking under load normally indicates a ring, piston or cylinder problem.

Also try removing any filters or whatnot from the breather. Just run it to open air for an experiment. My bike is incredibly sensitive to any restriction in the crankcase breather, Smokes badly. I currently have it venting to open air via a 30" hose exiting near the tail light, which lets any oil run back down into the crankcase should it get that far up.

It doesn't sound like a valve seal. Bad ones normally cause trouble on the overrun or when the throttle is closed. The vacuum in the inlet causes oil to be drawn down past the valve into the cylinder.

1991, Zephyr 750. GPz750 turbo engine, 810cc, Garrett T25 turbo, GPz1100 throttle bodies, 310cc injectors, Power commander, Dyna coils, Lots more as well...

KB Saturn fitted with a stock GPz750 turbo engine. Loads to do on this project.

More
28 Aug 2007 13:01 #166914 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic #4 Smokin! not a good smokin either!
sounds like ring problems to me, did you install them dry?.
also you can pull the schrader valve out of the compression gauge and put air to it, you will see where the problem is real quick

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
28 Aug 2007 13:04 #166915 by auggiedog
it's possible that the intake seal is not on right, i did not check that one. I remember reading about your broken ring...
I actually had it apart and check the rings off the bike, they all looked really good.
I think I should just take it apart and go over every thing again..

More
28 Aug 2007 13:38 #166922 by auggiedog
this breather thing might be it...one of the things different is the new APE low profile breather cover. I installed it by removing the two rubber "vents" inside of the original, taller cover, as well as the plate that held them in place. New APE Cover then fit correctly.
I added about a 16" vent hose to just behind the side cover, and then terminated it with a crankcase filter, looks a lot like my pods on the carbs.
There has been a lot of oil on the filter itself..
I'll try removing the filter first and see what I get.
Another thing is that the cylinders are newly honed, so the rings might not be seated fully yet, hence the lower psi readings..might be a combination of factors....
Thanks!

• scumbag
  • User
  • Lewd, Screwed, and Tattooed
More
29 Aug 2007 13:47 #167166 by scumbag
Replied by scumbag on topic #4 Smokin! not a good smokin either!
if I am reading this right and you are getting a fair amount of oil in your crankcase breather filter then I would have to say that it is more then likely a ring...blow-by is caused by compression slipping by the rings and into the case causing too much pressure in there hence the blow by

sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650