Bead blasting engine?

More
15 Aug 2007 09:29 #164062 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Bead blasting engine?
Doesn't matter what media is used, disassemble the engine totally and then use a parts washer once the bits are blasted. I have disassembled a couple engines that have been blasted after the owner plugged every hole as well as humanly possible and they were full of crud.

Sand blasting produces a very flat finish. Beads produce a more pleasing finish. I suspect that a clear powdercoat would be a good idea AFTER the blasting to preserve the finish. You can also use a high temp powdercoat and if applied properly (cured right), it will stay on a long time and look nice. Pebbled powdercoat is my favorite as all the little imperfections don't show.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2007 11:49 #164082 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic Bead blasting engine?
wiredgeorge wrote:

Doesn't matter what media is used, disassemble the engine totally and then use a parts washer once the bits are blasted. I have disassembled a couple engines that have been blasted after the owner plugged every hole as well as humanly possible and they were full of crud.

Sand blasting produces a very flat finish. Beads produce a more pleasing finish. I suspect that a clear powdercoat would be a good idea AFTER the blasting to preserve the finish. You can also use a high temp powdercoat and if applied properly (cured right), it will stay on a long time and look nice. Pebbled powdercoat is my favorite as all the little imperfections don't show.

I was watching a tuner show on DIY, mainly because the host has this weird facial hair that changes every episode.

Anyway, he was powdercoating parts with a new system; pretty sure it was from Sears. You powdercoat parts in your oven.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1179461162.1187203531@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgeaddlkemgmejcefecemldffidfno.0&pid=00917288000&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1

He got really good results. I was thinking; on a bike, you could fit every part except the frame (and maybe the wheels)in the oven. That system would be perfect for motorcycles.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I saw a pic of a bike for sale on ebay the other day (not a KZ) that had been painted with rhyno lining. It actually looked pretty cool. Has anyone else run across this?

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.