Need help from the MXer's (rather long question, thanks for being paitent

• Gosling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats behind you is not important
More
26 Jul 2007 08:49 #159805 by Gosling1
Ok, before I ask for help I need to tell you this is for a yamaha not a kawi. My 17 year old step son bought a 1983 IT 175 from a harley guy about 3 weeks ago. I've decided to help him get it running after finding out that this harley guy was your standard bagel running harley guy that thought a two stroke was when both pistons move at the same time. After we got it home it was discovered that there was only about a paper cup full of oil in the case. We also found out that he had used chainsaw oil instead of two stroke oil made for motorcyle engines. We flushed the case, refilled it with the correct oil, put new fuel lines on since the bike had sat long enough to gunk up the carb, petcock and the lines/filter. The carb was cleaned as was the petcock. After we reinstalled everything and threw in a new plug we could only get it to fire up for a second or two when it would cut out. I figured that it could be airscrew was ajusted for a clogged carb; but when we went to ajust it, I had him check the plug to see if it was fouled and noticed that there is a large amount of gunk in the cylinder. It looks like it had filled with gas when the float became stuck do to the petcock being locked open, and just left the oil, when it evaporated out. My question is how I can clean out the gunk with take the top end apart. It still has good compresion from what the book says, but I don't want to go looking for any more trouble at the momment. And the funds for this one are rather limited. Thanks for the help, Brandon

1983 KZ1100A Shaftee box stock.
A herd of Bultacos to play in the dirt with. Arvada, Colorado
Kick it in the guts Berry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2007 09:38 #159808 by harm
Take the plug out lean it over and kick it over. If there is alot of gas in there it will shoot out the plug hole. I would kill any spark as it could start a fire. ;) If it isn't liquid form you will have to take it apart.

Post edited by: harm, at: 2007/07/26 12:40

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

• Gosling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jul 2007 09:43 #159810 by Gosling1
It's kind of a real milky slimey muddey substance. That is what I was afraid of, but I thought that I would ask anyway.

More
26 Jul 2007 10:04 #159822 by harm
If you take the tank off and drain the oil, you could turn it upside down and try getting it out before taking the top end apart. What is in there anyway? Could possibly try diluting it with gas so it would come out easier.

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
26 Jul 2007 10:08 #159825 by wiredgeorge
Milky looking stuff ain't from gas... it is water. They never did run that good on water (well gas and water).

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Gosling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jul 2007 10:23 #159829 by Gosling1
Cool, thanks for the advise. This bike has sat for a while, you can see all of the fade lines on the tank from where the sun came through the slats of the fence it was leaning up against.

More
26 Jul 2007 19:23 #159953 by Z1R rider
Gosling1 wrote:

After we got it home it was discovered that there was only about a paper cup full of oil in the case. We also found out that he had used chainsaw oil instead of two stroke oil made for motorcyle engines. We flushed the case, refilled it with the correct oil,

If your talking about the engine case that you drained, that would be the tranny on most two stokes, and should have like 10-40 motor oil in it. There should be a two stroke oil tank someplace, (on the side or under seat) that supplies the oil injector, if that isn't working you'll have to mix the stroke stroke (2 strokes,:P ) oil with the gas in the tank.

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

• Gosling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jul 2007 08:17 #160050 by Gosling1
Z1R rider wrote:

Gosling1 wrote:

After we got it home it was discovered that there was only about a paper cup full of oil in the case. We also found out that he had used chainsaw oil instead of two stroke oil made for motorcyle engines. We flushed the case, refilled it with the correct oil,

If your talking about the engine case that you drained, that would be the tranny on most two stokes, and should have like 10-40 motor oil in it. There should be a two stroke oil tank someplace, (on the side or under seat) that supplies the oil injector, if that isn't working you'll have to mix the stroke stroke (2 strokes,:P ) oil with the gas in the tank.

Ya, I was talking about the tranny. This one doesn't have the injectors, you have to mix the two stroke with the gas. I wasn't sure until we got the book about the oil for the tranny, because my bultacos take 90w in the tranny, and the clutch is seperate and takes 30w. I'll try and get a picture of it:)

More
27 Jul 2007 11:48 #160085 by tjettim
On the IT engine, drain every thing,flush the crankcase,not the tranny,with gas,then air out.
Yamalube R 40/1 in the gas tank,10/40 oil in the
tranny,a new plug,and hopefully it will start.
Drowned a couple in creeks years ago,that usualy
works.

More
27 Jul 2007 12:30 #160098 by nads.com
best way i found to clear out a 2stroke is to spray carb cleaner into the cylinder and kick and spray till its clean. It evaperates any water and cleans gunk and sets the motor into i'm ready to start mode. Make sure the plug wire is not going to start a fire. BOOM ! Those old yamaha's run pretty good. You can adjudt the mix screw till it screams. Too lean and ... well you know.

More
27 Jul 2007 12:31 #160100 by nads.com

• Gosling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jul 2007 13:13 #160109 by Gosling1
Hahaha, thanks for the help guys. I'm going to try and flush it and get it running tommorrow after I get back from the junk yard.(need a new brake lever for it) I have seen some of the bigger ITs on the track and they seem like they could give my old bull a run. Let you know how things turn out.