Premium Fuel -- A Burning Question!

More
18 Jul 2007 10:45 #157756 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic Premium Fuel -- A Burning Question!
Double post, please delete.

Post edited by: cafekz750, at: 2007/07/18 13:46

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2007 09:36 #158260 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Premium Fuel -- A Burning Question!
Had a chance to talk to the guy that owns the Sprint. . .

He told me all he ever used was 89 unleaded.

He said there's web sites for the Sprint, but since he doesn't have the bike anymore, he didn't have any other information for me.

More
20 Jul 2007 09:54 #158267 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic Premium Fuel -- A Burning Question!
Cool, thanks for the info. I currently belong to a Aermacchi forum, but it is not nearly as active as the KZR site.
I did an experiment and took the amount of lead substitute, octane booster and the sea foam that would go in one gallon a mixed them together in a clear container. The lead substititue and the octane booster formed two distinct layers. When I added the sea foam the mix, the sea foam/octane booster and the lead substitue formed two layers. I shook the bottle and it looked fairly well mixed. I let it sit overnight and it separated in the same two layers as before. I have yet to get a gallon of gas and add the amount of additive to the gallon and see how it distributes in the gas.
But, with this combo in the tank, combined with the premium gasoline, I got 67mpg!:woohoo:
So, it is hard to change that up, unless I could do it with regular and just lead substitue until that valve job...B)

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

More
21 Jul 2007 10:16 #158427 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Premium Fuel -- A Burning Question!
Yeah I will agree with NOT using octane booster. While Tetra-ethyl lead helped in pre-ignition and heat transfer in the valves, it is not based on the compression ratio of an engine. Pre-ignition can occur at jsut about any compression ratio. I have spent enogh time with old british four cylinders, MG and Triumph, to tell you this.

Burn premium gasoline, and use a lead subsitute

OR

Replace the valve seats, but always burn good gas.

I'll see if I can find some old parts to really show how bad regular unleaded can be on older engines.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro