Ceramic coating

More
11 Jul 2007 03:16 #156075 by tjettim
Ceramic coating was created by tjettim
I want to have my header replated.I have had it rechromed once,it needs it again.I was wondering
about a silver colored ceramic coating instead.
Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any
recomendations,prices?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2007 03:52 #156078 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Ceramic coating
I have had a couple exhausts ceramic coated.....no more blueing pipes!! there are several finishes you can get, I have always had a mat finish on mine. The ceramic is not cheap though, I paid around $250 to have my last set done.

More
11 Jul 2007 03:58 #156079 by fastestz1
Replied by fastestz1 on topic Ceramic coating
i sent two set's of motorcycle pipes to JETT HOTT for thier sterling ceramic coating,im very disappointed with thier service,one of the exhaust i sent them was two separated pieces they sent me back one of mines and one from someone else's that was for a 350chevy it took an honest 48 days to get/find my pipe thanks to no help at all on jett hott's part,both set's of pipes started rusting almost immediatly after i put them back on my bikes,when i called them and told them about the rusting they told me they never had that happen before i find that hard to believe,i recomend you avoid JETT HOTT coating's.

More
11 Jul 2007 06:35 #156110 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Ceramic coating
Ok Night train,who did yours and how did it hold up?

More
11 Jul 2007 06:56 #156113 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic Ceramic coating
No experience just yet, but I will soon.
Jeff at Z1 Enterprises highly recommends Jet-Hot Coatings but said this:

Jet-Hot does nice work. When I worked on a Nitro Funny Car team we used them to do the headers.

Several cautions if you send them parts.
1) Make sure your name is on EVERY part - engraved / stamped is best. They have been known to lose / mixup parts. We have a customer where Jet lost a custom made mid-pipe for a turbo setup.
2) Include a complete list of what you are sending them - don't just thow parts in a box and assume they know what you've sent them (see above).
3) Do not coat the inside of header pipes for a turbo application. If any of the coating comes loose it WILL destroy the turbo impellor.

When I sent Jet-Hot an email explaining what I wanted, they sent me (many days later) a very "impersonal" reply, almost like my project wasn't expensive enough for them to mess with.

I also contacted BCD Coatings because they are located here in TN, hoping I would save some $$$$ on shipping. Here is there reply to my email:

"Hi Jim. Thanks for your inquiry. I apologize for taking so long to get back to you, as I have been out of town and the shop was closed. The Z-1, I remember it well. It turned the whole industry on it’s ear when it was introduced.

We do blast the parts prior to coating them, so there’s no need for you to do so.

The pieces can be coated separately and then reassembled; in fact it is better to do so although some coaters coat them together as a single unit. We never do though, we always separate the parts as that gives us coating on all surfaces.

Normally a 4 into 1 system will be in the $200.00 to $250.00 range.

Bruce Clayton

BCD Coatings

For me, this is more like it. A very nice reply so they will get my business. I hope to have the header shipped to them by tomorrow. I'll post pics of the coated pipe when I get it back. Here is a pic of what I'm sending them.
Jim
www.bcdcoatings.com/

Post edited by: inline4, at: 2007/07/11 09:58

More
11 Jul 2007 08:47 #156133 by hmondo
Replied by hmondo on topic Ceramic coating
tjettim -- did you say you had your header re-chromed? I thought chromers would not touch any exhaust since they are so dirty. I've heard that the dirt will contaminate their chroming solutions therefore they won't re-chrome exhaust systems. Where did you send your header?

1989 KZ1000 P-8 (Police)
1987 ZL1000
1986 Concours (Project Bike)

More
11 Jul 2007 10:31 #156152 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Ceramic coating
I have yet to see a older chrome pipe in nice shape if it mounted on a bike that is actually used. Think about where the 4 pipes meet the collector. It is next to impossible to clean in there plus water will sit there and rust over time. Then there is bluing and scratches that show up on chrome over time. I would go with ceramic coating or a high temp paint. I wrap all of mine because there is 0 cleaning involved, cuts way down on heat plus I just think it looks cool.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
11 Jul 2007 12:34 #156180 by Night_Train01
I use a company called Specialty Coatings, they are located in Shelburne Ontario.
I have never had any rust or fading problems. Here is a pic of a set of pipes I did for a VTX 1800

Post edited by: Night_Train01, at: 2007/07/11 15:35

Post edited by: Night_Train01, at: 2007/07/11 15:36

More
11 Jul 2007 17:49 #156253 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Ceramic coating
I bought my Racer one pipe in 1978.At 40,000 miles
I had a Chrome shop send my pipe to Kentucky.It was
blued and had some rust between the pipes in areas
I could not get to when I cleaned it.It came back
looking new.It now has 61,000 miles on it and I had
a battery acid spill(too many 100 yard long wheelies)
out the overflow tube on to the header.I always clean my header after a ride,and clean and wax the original
paint when it needs it.But the acid marks will not come off.It cost me $200.oo to rechrome it and that was a
few years ago.Since I still like big power wheelies,
I figure I will just ruin it again unless it has a
ceramic or similar coating.But I still want a near chrome look.

More
11 Jul 2007 21:07 #156280 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic Ceramic coating
Hey Night Train, that is one slick VTX Power Cruiser.B) B) B)
Just judging from the pic the only thing I'd change is lowering the handlebars a couple inches.
Damn nice Honda nonetheless.:woohoo: :woohoo:

More
12 Jul 2007 18:50 #156505 by Night_Train01
Thats exactly what I did to those bars last winter....I chopped them by 4". I then added the suicide shift with a foot clutch. This is a pic of the new owner the day he bought the bike.

Post edited by: Night_Train01, at: 2007/07/12 21:55

More
13 Jul 2007 10:33 #156643 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Ceramic coating
Have a Murray spyder pipe on my dragbike which has been coated a few times. Kalgard when new, HTC(never again-poor job) after the Kalgard started to go, and finally ceramic coated in 2005. Absolutely go with the ceramic,looks great and cleans up easily and doesn't go blue.I can use steel wool,lacquer thinners or polish to clean it.This is a 14 yr. old system. Looks brand new excepting for a few small dents etc.

Clean up by pickling ( acid wash) first, then beadblasted and finally ceramic coated.
$ 215.00 CDN including taxes and shipping back to me.High Temp Coatings in Ruscom Ontario near Windsor Ontario . Phone 888-225-8648, excellent product,service and price.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B