New engine build, accepting suggestions!

More
04 Jul 2007 06:12 #154627 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic New engine build, accepting suggestions!
Lorcan wrote:

It's curious that none of you guys use a dyno, why is that? Too far away? Too much money?

For me, the closest one to my city is 250 miles away. Not worth the time or effort unless you are racing as you do.

Cheers-Colin Firth

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2007 08:51 #154657 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic New engine build, accepting suggestions!
the closest dyno to me is at a custom harley shop.
the guy wants too much to put mine on there.
plus then i got to put up with how my bike is junk compared to a harley etc.
after i am done putting it all together, i will go there to fine tune it.
want to see the look on their faces after they see what a old kaw can put out! :evil:

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
04 Jul 2007 08:54 #154658 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic New engine build, accepting suggestions!
Not a "motor" issue, but a "power" issue.

I see that you said you're going with a 14 tooth sprocket on the front. Don't know what you're running for a chain, but I switched from the 630 to 520 when I went to a late model 17" rear wheel. The result wasn't dyno-ed, but the performance was substantial. I'd say it was around the low 80 mark before the suspension and chain conversion (it happened all-at-once) and it dyno-ed at 89.9 after the install...wish I would have taken readings prior b/c the difference is big enough that it throttle wheelies now, where it didn't before.

I have a 630 chain on the shelf and I pulled the bias ply tires off before I sold the stock KZ mags on eBay...holy crap this stuff is HEAVY (KZ mags, bias tires, 630) compared to the stuff that replaced it...so, if you want some permanent power that will increase your traction and improve your handling ...there ya go.

I didn't check, maybe you've got 17s on your stallion already. Anyway, just checking in and throwing that out there. Got pics of your bike?

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
05 Jul 2007 06:01 #154833 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic New engine build, accepting suggestions!
The closeat dyno from me is 15minutes away and costs $25 dallors and I dont have to put up harley this or that.:sick: It is Krol Cycle in Garfield Ohio.

I also know of a shop with another dyno at Engineering Performance (Harley shop) They charge $45. This guy owes me a favore so I think I'll go there to build my engine.

I would like to see the pics of your bike myself.

I am doing a engine build with. '83 GPZ750 head, cams, cylinders, pistons, oil pan and cooler. putting it on a '77650 block. I dont know what carbs to use??? The bold lettering is things I have. I have not desided due to money if the 810 weisco kit is worth it.

Any sugestions are welcome or some input OH YEH free parts too:P :blink: :evil:

More
06 Jul 2007 21:23 #155235 by Bad Kaw
Snakebyte wrote:

The closeat dyno from me is 15minutes away and costs $25 dallors and I dont have to put up harley this or that.:sick: It is Krol Cycle in Garfield Ohio.

I also know of a shop with another dyno at Engineering Performance (Harley shop) They charge $45. This guy owes me a favore so I think I'll go there to build my engine.

I would like to see the pics of your bike myself.

I am doing a engine build with. '83 GPZ750 head, cams, cylinders, pistons, oil pan and cooler. putting it on a '77650 block. I dont know what carbs to use??? The bold lettering is things I have. I have not desided due to money if the 810 weisco kit is worth it.

Any sugestions are welcome or some input OH YEH free parts too:P :blink: :evil:

Let me get this straight: you got all that cool stuff for free...and you can't decide to pop for the 810 kit??? :huh: ...you must be related to my brother:evil: ...get the kit (cue Darth Vader voice:) "It is your destiny!" B)

78 Kawasaki Z1R
70 Kawasaki KV75

More
09 Jul 2007 05:27 #155606 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic New engine build, accepting suggestions!
Good point :P :dry:

More
09 Jul 2007 06:26 #155612 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic New engine build, accepting suggestions!
With all that work why not run some real cams?
MTC and WebCam have some high lift short duration
cams that come on fairly early and pull real hard
to redline and beyond.And you can keep your tach.

• newbikekiller
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2007 10:54 #155675 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic New engine build, accepting suggestions!
I'm looking through this and I'm only seeing
-1 Carb suggestion (29 smoothies may be out of my range and I want CV's to retain some gas economy.)

I will do weight/rotating mass reduction & suspension when the power plant is in place.

As for the 1000cc crack, I don't think a stock 1000 would have a chance against the build I'm planning. However yes a modified 1000 w/ cams & exhaust & head & etc done would blow me out of the water. However I'd hate to sell my bike as its been so good to me.

I'll upload a dyno sheet of before and after just so you guys have a reference when I'm done with this.

• newbikekiller
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2007 10:56 #155676 by newbikekiller
I'm looking through this and I'm only seeing
-1 Carb suggestion (29 smoothies may be out of my range and I want CV's to retain some gas economy.)

I will do weight/rotating mass reduction & suspension when the power plant is in place.

As for the 1000cc crack, I don't think a stock 1000 would have a chance against the build I'm planning. However yes a modified 1000 w/ cams & exhaust & head & etc done would blow me out of the water. However I'd hate to sell my bike as its been so good to me.

I'll upload a dyno sheet of before and after just so you guys have a reference when I'm done with this.

• newbikekiller
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2007 11:00 #155678 by newbikekiller
Snakebyte:

I haven't heard much about new oil pans, I assume the GPZ750 has a bigger oilpan...?

Whats the point?

JW

More
09 Jul 2007 14:42 #155732 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic New engine build, accepting suggestions!
newbikekiller wrote:

Snakebyte:

I haven't heard much about new oil pans, I assume the GPZ750 has a bigger oilpan...?

Whats the point?

JW

Hey Peter - the Gpz oil pan is set up for a factory oil cooler with supply and return lines cast into the pan. I haven't heard that they have any more oil volume as the space between the bottom frame rails on a 650/750 are pretty tight. The Gpz oil pan may indeed have more volume but it would be a marginal amount only. These oil pans and coolers do show up on ebay from time to time.

If I was living in the southern states where the temps get pretty high in the summer then I would definitely put one on. Your driving routing also dictates whether or not you absolutley need one. If you are in bumper to bumper traffic when riding the bike, it might be an idea to consider adding an oil cooler. For my own use, I only ride my bike in the evening when it is cooler and I don't have to put up with gridlock. Putting on an oil cooler on an air cooled engine is never a bad idea.

Some guys have put the Mikuni 34's on the 810 set up in case you are wondering. They are less expensive than the smoothbores which are fairly rare and pricey.

I cannot vouch for their performance compared to the smoothbores which seem to be much better than the 28's but since I also put on the Gpz cams it is not a fair comparison. Wiredgeorge would be best to advise on the economy/performance relativity.

I will be watching with interest the kind of numbers you can turn on the Dyno. Keep us posted.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
17 Jul 2007 16:32 #157543 by Bad Kaw
Yeah, the "before and after" dyno thing is golden. Can't argue with scientific data ... unless you believe in 'global warming' then you can ignore anything! :laugh:

sorry...had ta go there!

78 Kawasaki Z1R
70 Kawasaki KV75