To hone or not to hone...

More
19 Jun 2007 11:09 #150881 by bLodi
To hone or not to hone... was created by bLodi
I am currently doing new rings on my Z1 and I know it was mentioned to lightly hone my cylinders before hand. So I picked up a hone last night. But reading today some say not to hone when reringing a stock bore. Any clear direction?

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1
V&H 4-1 Header, Pod Filters, Dyna Ignition, Dyna Coils, Dyna Wires, lowering kit...much more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2007 11:24 #150884 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic To hone or not to hone...
I would hone. You need to hone the cylinders not just for a new surface for the rings to seat to. Honing will also show you any imperfections that the cylinders have. I used a straight stone hone once and found out that one of my cylinders were egg shaped so I had to bore:pinch: and get new pistons:sick:

More
19 Jun 2007 11:25 #150885 by Snakebyte
I have never tried to do just rings.

More
19 Jun 2007 12:16 #150904 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic To hone or not to hone...
measure your pistons and bores to make sure they usable before you get too far into it;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
19 Jun 2007 12:34 #150907 by katjbus
Replied by katjbus on topic To hone or not to hone...
you atleast use a berry brush hone to break the glaze and to put in the proper 40 to 45 degree crosshatch on the cylinder walls for proper oil retention and ring seating, it will run if you dont but that is proper procedure, but definitely check all clearances and make sure they are in spec.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
19 Jun 2007 12:51 #150909 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic To hone or not to hone...
If it's not glazed and there is no ridge at the top it does not need honing.

If the liners are shiny and slick like glass, you should hone enough to take shine off.

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN !

More
19 Jun 2007 13:35 #150917 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic To hone or not to hone...
any time you install new rings you need to hone the cyl, the cross hatch pattern helps the rings seat, you didnt mention what type of hone you have, and yes I would mic all the pistons and cyls up and down the bore along with side to side, make sure it is in spec

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
20 Jun 2007 00:35 #151045 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic To hone or not to hone...
If you decide to hone, and want to save money, take some 220 sandpaper and cut a piece about half the circumference of the cylinder. Use your hand and hone it. Just keep turning it back and forth while moving it up and down. You'll see the pattern form the cross hatch. Flip the cylinder over and do the other end. It takes a few seconds and you won't see the the diff. between a machine shop and what you've done. All your doing is breaking the glaze here. It's fool proof and you will laugh when you see how nice it looks. This is all I've ever done and never had a set of rings not seat.

More
20 Jun 2007 04:58 #151060 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic To hone or not to hone...
nads.com wrote:

If you decide to hone, and want to save money, take some 220 sandpaper and cut a piece about half the circumference of the cylinder. Use your hand and hone it. Just keep turning it back and forth while moving it up and down. You'll see the pattern form the cross hatch. Flip the cylinder over and do the other end. It takes a few seconds and you won't see the the diff. between a machine shop and what you've done. All your doing is breaking the glaze here. It's fool proof and you will laugh when you see how nice it looks. This is all I've ever done and never had a set of rings not seat.

there are a ton of ways to do something wrong and only one way to do it right, the purpose of honing is to make the cyl round and put the right cross hatch pattern and apply the right amount of polish to the bore for the rings to seat, Glaze breaking is a whole different story. I would not use my hand to break the glaze, you will have different pressure points from your hand and make the bore even more out of round and the walls will not be even from top to bottom

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
20 Jun 2007 11:56 #151166 by Snakebyte
I have to egree with bsk on that one. Have you ever done body work using your hands and no block:pinch: :sick:

More
20 Jun 2007 12:16 #151170 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic To hone or not to hone...
yes I have done that and I made you talk too. I must have special powers. :lol:

More
21 Jun 2007 01:25 #151389 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic To hone or not to hone...
If everything spec's out OK ,
Just use a "FLEX HONE" so the rings will seat.
Honing has NOTHING to do with making the bores "round"
And a flex hone is almost "fool" proof.

1974 Z1a, still 903