shifting by itself !!!!!!!!!!!

More
08 Jun 2007 21:46 #147693 by another82kz
shifting by itself !!!!!!!!!!! was created by another82kz
Ok I finally got my bike put back together . New paint , exhaust , bars , clutch cable , clutch basket and more . I took her out for the maiden voyage in the new skin and noticed it was downshifting hard into 1st . As I ventured farther everytime I shift into second it will automatically go into third after about a second or so , if I let off the gas it pops right back into 2nd . Could I have screwed something up when putting the clutch in ?? I rode it a while today and I tried adjusting the clutch cable to see if I had something out of line and it all looks and feels fine the clutch pulls smooth . I replaced the clutch basket due to a noise I was hearing previously . I found all the springs on it were very loose , and thought I had eleiviated the problem . Also when coming to a stop and downshifting into first with the clutch in the rear tire will lock up . Being a auto mechanic by trade this is irritating because I cant fix this damn bike . Could I have a bent shift fork ?? Are there even shift forks inside the trans ? Any help would be greatly appreciated .

\"Its all just a bunch of nuts and bolts.\"

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2007 23:10 #147719 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic shifting by itself !!!!!!!!!!!
uhhh, just drive the piss out of it and hold it in gear via the shifter, your problem will show up.

i don't know much but it sounds to me like something else is loose in your trans if its locking up with the clutch in, DON'T drive it anymore.

was the shaft the cluth is bolted to lose at all?

did you split the cases or touch any other part of the trans?

Post edited by: themachine, at: 2007/06/09 02:11

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
08 Jun 2007 23:31 #147721 by another82kz
Replied by another82kz on topic shifting by itself !!!!!!!!!!!
Never opened the case . As far as the jackshaft being loose I dont thing so but I did hear a noise coming from the right side of the bike from under the clutch cover . Hence why I replaced the clutch basket . I really cant think of anything that could be wrong . Also if you are under hard acceleration it acts fine but as soon as you let off and start downshifting it starts all over again .

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee

More
09 Jun 2007 00:18 #147723 by katjbus
Replied by katjbus on topic shifting by itself !!!!!!!!!!!
I believe that the shift drum mechanism is on the same side, when you put the new basket in did, you verify the dimensions with the one that came out and there is a thrust washer or bearings on the back side of the basket check to see if it is rubbing, when spinning it could be force the shift drum to move causing the auto shifting you are talking about???? But I could be wrong

More
09 Jun 2007 00:21 #147724 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic shifting by itself !!!!!!!!!!!
another82kz wrote:

...tried adjusting the clutch cable....

Just checking to assure the clutch push rod clearance was also adjusted. This being the adjustment located under the access cap on the sprocket cover. And is a separate essential adjustment necessary regardless of slack allowed in the cable. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Jun 2007 05:37 #147738 by steell
Replied by steell on topic shifting by itself !!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you may have a bent shifting fork (or two). The reason for locking up may be that two gears are being engaged at once. This really seriously needs to be fixed before the bike is ridden again.

KD9JUR

More
09 Jun 2007 06:36 #147743 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic shifting by itself !!!!!!!!!!!
OK, I don't know anything about your bike or clutches specifically, other than redoing mine. I don't know if this could cause your problem but: did you by any chance loose the ball bearing the clutch rod and the clutch pusher? I only ask because it is a part that is very easy to lose, if you don't notice it rolling out the hole.
Ron

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
09 Jun 2007 08:17 #147757 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic shifting by itself !!!!!!!!!!!
I have never had this happen because of worn shift forks. It occurs to me that this may well be the external shift mechanism. The shift pawls grab pins on the shift drum. There is a spring between the pawl arms and a spring that returns the pawl which wraps around the pivot shaft. I don't think these springs are the problems. There is a third spring located in the upper left corner of the cover that the shift drum goes through. It is banana shaped and it catches the drum so that it doesn't turn PAST the pin you select. If this spring isn't there, isn't springing, etc, it would allow you to shift through second to third, more or less, on its own. Pull off the countershaft cover and look at the spring in the upper left corner and the banana shaped piece of metal that drops down into the shift drum to keep the drum from rotating between shifts... I think this might be where you problem lies.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
09 Jun 2007 09:29 #147777 by another82kz
Can I do this with the engine on the bike ? I hope this is something easily fixed because I am about to my wits end with this thing . If not how hard is it to split the case to look at the internals of the tranny ?

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee

More
09 Jun 2007 12:21 #147805 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic shifting by itself !!!!!!!!!!!
another82kz wrote:

Can I do this with the engine on the bike ? I hope this is something easily fixed because I am about to my wits end with this thing . If not how hard is it to split the case to look at the internals of the tranny ?

you just have to remove your clutch cover and clutch basket again, perhaps its time you bought a manual.

oh, and if you have to ask how hard it is to split the cases then you should take it to a pro (if the cases need splitting)

Post edited by: themachine, at: 2007/06/10 12:14

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
09 Jun 2007 19:55 #147904 by steell
Replied by steell on topic shifting by itself !!!!!!!!!!!
themachine wrote:

oh, and if you have to ask how hard it is to split the cases then you should take it to a prom (if the cases need splitting)

Do you have to buy it Formal Attire when you take it to the Prom? And do you buy it a dress or a tux?

Sorry, just couldn't resist, it's been one of those kind of days :evil:

KD9JUR

More
09 Jun 2007 23:28 #147945 by another82kz
I have accuired a manual from a buddy who works at a Kawasaki dealer . it is the one the service department used to use before they stopped working on anything older than 90 ! I talked to a guy earlier today who has a small repair shop just south of me . He said for 450.00 plus parts he will back cut the tranny repair anything thats broken inside and put the engine back on the bike . Sounds fair to me . I am going to drop it off at his place on Monday and he told me I should have it back by the middle of the following week . So we'll see how it goes .

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee