Checking Valve Clearances Hot vs. Cold

More
09 Jun 2007 14:56 #147833 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Checking Valve Clearances Hot vs. Cold
On the 650, check them cold, get the clearance as close to 0.150 mm as possible. Ride and enjoy.

See, that was easy! :P

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2007 15:08 #147834 by ibsen22000
Replied by ibsen22000 on topic Checking Valve Clearances Hot vs. Cold
Without being a judge about the issue, how many of you have actually checked the valve clearances, by accident or deliberately, with both a cold and a hot engine and can tell for sure either way?

www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-clear.html

More
09 Jun 2007 19:12 #147884 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Checking Valve Clearances Hot vs. Cold
ibsen22000 wrote:

Without being a judge about the issue, how many of you have actually checked the valve clearances, by accident or deliberately, with both a cold and a hot engine and can tell for sure either way?

I don't know who Mike Nixon is, but I'd certainly take that article with a large grain of salt. I think I would rather rely on the info gathered from conversations with the guy that designs the cams for the top Nascar teams.

Regarding ramps "They're also, paradoxically, almost accidental, being more byproduct than intentional -- what is left over after the lobe's shape is built"

Maybe thirty or forty years ago this was true, but it certainly hasn't been true for a long time. Ramp design is critical to valve train and engine life, it's probably the most critical part of a cam design, and is affected by many things, especially the mass of the valve train.

Oh well, I guess everyone is entitled to have their own opinion :)

KD9JUR

More
09 Jun 2007 19:39 #147896 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Checking Valve Clearances Hot vs. Cold
ibsen22000 wrote:

Well I have, just today.

I had to stick around the house today and had some time to kill so I did the comparison on the valve clearances on a cold and a hot engine.

Here is what I did.

The bike idled for 10 minutes, enough to say that the bike reached operating temperature. I then wheeled the bike in the garage and put on my gloves, pulled the tank, coils and valve cover. Pulled out the feeler guages and checked each valve while they were still very hot.

Then I let the bike cool off for about 4 hours and rechecked the clearances. I found that there was a difference of 0.06-0.10 on the feeler guages.

So based on my rudimentary, completely unscientific experiment from today, I would say that the shims and or associated valvetrain components expand on average 0.08 in thickness in a hot engine versus a cold engine.

Incidentally my Kawasaki Kz650 mechanic's manual says that clearances should come in between 0.08-0.18 mm. Which makes sense on the lower range of the manual recommendations for a hot, operating engine.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2007/06/09 22:43

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...