Rebuild Question- Valve shims (?)

More
15 May 2007 04:14 #140165 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Rebuild Question- Valve shims (?)
Sounds like your getting it done. Looks like you got a good bike there. Now you just need to keep your dads mits off of it when you get it done. :laugh: BTW have you checked your jetting in the carbs yet? I saw you have a 4 into 1 exhaust and you put new pod filters on. You might have to go up a couple of sizes on your mains jets for the pods.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2007 16:26 #140403 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Rebuild Question- Valve shims (?)
Good to see that you are making progress. . .

cuddies wrote:

. . . It seemed like when I would get 2 or 3 (of the 4 shims, each side), right, then there would be at least 1 wrong, so I would switch that one wrong shim, and they measure again, and they they would all be wrong. . .

I don't want to second guess what you are doing, but is it possible that not all of the cam saddles are torqued down properly?

Anyway. . .least it is moving along.

:cheer:

More
15 May 2007 19:18 #140452 by cuddies
Replied by cuddies on topic Rebuild Question- Valve shims (?)
Kazoo, that was my initial thought...

THe intake side was giving me BIGGGG trouble and was frustrating me, so I moved to the exhaust. In the middle of the exhaust side, I realized the the proper torque setting are mandatory. OOPS. So doing the exhaust side, I made sure they were always torqued properly (9 ft. lbs). I since have not gone back to the intake, so maybe that was my problem?! I sure hope so. I am going to check it out tomorrmow :)

As for the post before- you are right, I believe I will have to go up a size or two on the mains. Right now, I have a 11.5 (don't know what that # means exactly), and then I also have a size up which is a 11.8. The 11.5's are in the carbs now.

More
16 May 2007 10:57 #140642 by cuddies
Well, at least I found out what sizes I need for the intake.

Need to order (2) 250's, and (1) 225. And a petcock..and that rubber spacer thing that bolts on underneath the idler (?) sproket. [the thing in between the cams that has the sproket on it] I lost one of the two rubber spacers, so now I have to oder a new one.. :(

Shims are expesive, $10 bucks a shim? Wow.

More
16 May 2007 11:07 #140647 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Rebuild Question- Valve shims (?)
cuddies wrote:

Well, at least I found out what sizes I need for the intake.

Shims are expesive, $10 bucks a shim? Wow.

Dude, take a micrometer and your shims with you to some off-the-wall repair shop. Sometimes dealers are ok with this too.

Trade what you have for what you need. Tell them anything . . . I know . . . Tell 'em it's a school project you're doing for your Dad for a Father's day present.

:lol:

More
16 May 2007 15:47 #140729 by cuddies
It IS a school project for my dad...

Anyways, would re-grinding the tip of the valve, oh say, 8 thousands (or whatever the gap calls for) be a bad idea? If I grind the tip of the valve, it will lower the bucket, and be the right height. I don't see how this could be bad?

Post edited by: cuddies, at: 2007/05/16 18:49

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
16 May 2007 20:37 #140805 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Rebuild Question- Valve shims (?)
I wouldn't regrind the tips on any of the valves unless totally necessary.
When a valve seat has worn to the point that there's not a small enough shim available to place in there and get a decent measurement, then that's the time it would be necessary to grind the tip of the valve. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ