My worst nightmare?

More
19 Apr 2007 07:03 #131793 by Shoey949
My worst nightmare? was created by Shoey949
This past winter break when I was home from college, I took off the oil pan b/c I had to rethread the oil drain plug. I pulled off the pan and found two decent size chunks of metal(sorry no pics). They fit together and when combined were about the size of half-a-penny(a penny cut in half). My father and I both concluded that it was a part of the piston skirt. The goodnews is that there were no metal shavings of any sort. Anyway I was hoping somehow I would just forget about this and everything would work out fine, but I've realized that probably isn't the case. The engine has never burned any oil and I have ridden it since this incedent.

So pretty much to sum up, how screwed am I? I bought the bike for $200 and have invested about $500, so it wouldn't be the biggest loss in the world.

Thanks for the help,
Nate

'83 GPz550H2 w/'81 GPz 550D1 engine
Dynojet Stage 3 kit, MAC 4-1, UNI Pods, DYNA coils and plug wires, WG ignition mod

Grand Rapids, MI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2007 08:37 #131824 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic My worst nightmare?
Could it be the core of one of the cam cover plugs? Maybe it got chewed up on the way down or something..seems like the right size.

Have you opened it up to look at the pistons?

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
19 Apr 2007 09:35 #131848 by Shoey949
Replied by Shoey949 on topic My worst nightmare?
I have not opened it up yet. I'm not sure what the cam plug core looks like, but these pieces had a curvature of what would be appropriate for a piston.

Dynojet Stage 3 kit, MAC 4-1, UNI Pods, DYNA coils and plug wires, WG ignition mod

Grand Rapids, MI

More
19 Apr 2007 10:21 #131861 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic My worst nightmare?
. . .must. . . post . . . some . . . pictures. . .for . . the. . . imagination . . impaired . . . because . . . our . . . diagnositic . . . skills . . . are . . .

crippled . . .

The literal sense is the gruesome 'to cripple (someone) by cutting the hamstrings'; though not found in the historical record until slightly later, it must be the original. The sense development is paralleled by the example of cripple itself, which originally meant 'to make a cripple of; lame' but then developed a figurative sense 'to make nonfunctional; hinder; thwart'

More
19 Apr 2007 11:37 #131886 by Shoey949
I won't be able to post pics as I am still at college so for the sake of converstation I'm going to trust my dad(he was a race-boat mechanic, 2-strokes I know but close enough) on the fact that it was a piston skirt. So what do you think is going to happen?

Grand Rapids, MI

More
19 Apr 2007 11:48 #131889 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic My worst nightmare?
the worst thing will be a rattle in the engine, which will in time go from bad to worse when the piston breaks, but that could be a long time depending on how you ride. and it will smoke some from the rings not being able to seal well.

Just had a thought, could this be from a previous repair?, and they never pulled the pan to remove the broken pieces?

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
19 Apr 2007 12:10 #131896 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic My worst nightmare?
If the oil pan is off, can you look up at the bottom of the pistons to see where it came from? Maybe you can replace the one piston, or like BSK said, maybe it's from a previous repair. You could verify it by looking at the pistons.

More
19 Apr 2007 12:23 #131903 by Shoey949
Yea, I tried that at the time but with the crank and oil pump,there was to much junk to get a good view. I'm have no idea on it being a previous repair I have only had the bike for a year and a half.

Post edited by: Shoey949, at: 2007/04/19 15:24

Grand Rapids, MI

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
19 Apr 2007 14:31 #131954 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic My worst nightmare?
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, from your description it sounds like you may have come across the remains of a choke flapper. The TK carbs are famous for losing these things and nobody seems to know where they end up. You may be the first to actually find one.:S

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
19 Apr 2007 15:07 #131969 by Shoey949
I would love to have that claim to fame, but I'm 99.99% sure that it is not a choke flap, it definately apprears to part of the piston skirt.

BSKZ:
I have noticed a rattling that I can't remember from when I first had the bike. What is the physics behind the rattle, is it because the piston is out of balance? Also what is going to happen to the engine when this piston craps out?

Post edited by: Shoey949, at: 2007/04/19 18:32

Grand Rapids, MI

More
19 Apr 2007 16:20 #131989 by steell
Replied by steell on topic My worst nightmare?
It probably is part of the piston skirt, and piston skirts usually break because of excess clearance between the piston and the cylinder bore. I am surprised that it is not burning any oil though.

As to what could happen, it depends on exactly how the piston breaks, maybe it will just make more noise, maybe it will be a catastrophic failure, no way of telling until it happens.

Probably the best idea would be to get a top end gasket set and pull the top end off to see exactly what's happened.

KD9JUR

More
19 Apr 2007 16:45 #131994 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic My worst nightmare?
steell wrote:

It probably is part of the piston skirt, and piston skirts usually break because of excess clearance between the piston and the cylinder bore. I am surprised that it is not burning any oil though.

As to what could happen, it depends on exactly how the piston breaks, maybe it will just make more noise, maybe it will be a catastrophic failure, no way of telling until it happens.

Probably the best idea would be to get a top end gasket set and pull the top end off to see exactly what's happened.

agreed

a 60 dollar kit and a case of beer wont hurt anything, however riding it and just shrugging it off will.

and if it is a piston skirt then you can stick a big bore kit in it for some fun:evil:

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!